Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stacking Extruder Heater Blocks

Posted by marcinose 
Stacking Extruder Heater Blocks
March 13, 2019 04:18PM
Hi RepRappers,

I'm conceptualizing a stackable heater block design. Is it simply possible to stack multiple heater block in series like this?

By using easy to source M6 threaded rod with through hole, and otherwise using standard E3D heat breaks and nozzles, we should in principle be able to stack 2 or 3 Volcano heater blocks for 80W or 120W.

This would reduce the cost over a monolithic SuperVolcano heater block significantly while attaining equivalent performance and extrusion rate for large prints. The goal is 20-30 lb/day extrusion rates. More info at [wiki.opensourceecology.org]

Does anyone see issues with this approach?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Marcin
Open Source Ecology
Re: Stacking Extruder Heater Blocks
March 13, 2019 05:06PM
I saw your Post thought I would Help with this little bit of information.

Nova Hot-end not endorsing this product.

Wanted to show you this Hot-End I ran across. Kick Starter

With 3 different power Heaters 60wt, 80wt and 100wt
An claims of 3D Printing at 300mm/sec thought I would bring it to your attention.

What do you think about the possibilities of 3D Printing at 300mm/sec.
I know this interests me even though my 3D Printer may never 3D Print at 300mm/sec.
Would be a substantial leap to double my current print Speed of 86mm/sec to 172mm/sec, though it may require some added Support Bracing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 05:07PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 13, 2019 09:19PM
Why not just make a block from a bigger chunk of aluminum and mount two or three heaters in it?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 14, 2019 03:36AM
Simple to do; so why don't you do it and show ?
Don't forget to run PID !

PS: Is this just to bring attention to the site:
[wiki.opensourceecology.org]
BTW, you cut yourself from the world by not being metric, not a very good start smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 05:23AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 14, 2019 03:51AM
"By using easy to source M6 threaded rod with through hole"

Mcmaster is not easy to source from. they are very one eyed and will only ship to america.. what about the rest of the planet?
May 02, 2020 01:22PM
Roberts_Clif
What do you think about the possibilities of 3D Printing at 300mm/sec.
I know this interests me even though my 3D Printer may never 3D Print at 300mm/sec.
Would be a substantial leap to double my current print Speed of 86mm/sec to 172mm/sec, though it may require some added Support Bracing.

Depends on what your goal is. Do you want faster speed because you want detailed prints to go faster? The other way is to not increase print speed, but nozzle size. If you increase nozzle size, the heater block will be the limiting factor - you won't be able to melt the plastic fast enough because the throughput is large.

We typically print with 1.2 nozzles, and we begin to strip the ability of the 40W Volcano heater block to keep up with the print even at the low speed of 25 mm/sec when we print in an unheated room in winter (near freezing temps). That requires as much heating power as a 0.4 nozzle running at 175 mm/sec. So for practicality considerations, we don't expect to go faster than 50 mm/sec unless we go to the Supervolcano heater. We are gearing up for larger prints, such as rubber tracks for tractors.

In your case, at 172 mm/sec, you'll probably be at the heating rate limit of your heater cartridge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login