Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Piper 1 version 2

Posted by Shank man 
Piper 1 version 2
April 07, 2019 10:11PM
This is the 200x300x200 build. The smallest of the 4.

Only 2 - 10 foot lengths of E.M.T. were enough to
build the frame

From 1 of the 10 foot lengths I was able to cut..

1 Each, Base front along X axis 385mm
1 Each, Base back along X axis 367mm
2 Each, X rails 477mm
1 Each, Top along X axis 385mm
2 Each, Z support 446mm

From the other piece I was able to cut these lengths.

2 Each, Base along Y axis 400mm
2 Each, Y rails 477mm
2 Each, Z rails 427mm

All of the pipe was cut with a inexpensive tubing cutter I bought from
Bangood. It makes for a much cleaner and more
precise cut than can be had with a hacksaw.

All of the tube connectors, staps, motor mounts, and extruder mount were printed in ABS.
The Roller blocks are printed in PLA. Both materials at 30% infill, 3 perimeters & 3 top/bottom layers.
I scaled up the ABS prints by 1% before printing. All printed with no support material.
The design of the parts are Top Notch ! I can only imagine the amount of time and effort that went in to this design.

Of the four RepRap printer designs I have downloaded and built from Thingiverse files,
this is by far the best in the terms in the quality of the printed parts and the ease of assembly. Whether or not the prints
to be produced by this printer are on par with the others remains to be seen. My build came to a halt when
I found out that I had ordered the wrong size belt pulleys.

Prusa I2
Gen7-ARM 2.0 / Teacup
Genuine J-Head Mk V-BV

Hypercube
RAMPS 1.4 / Marlin
E3D V6

Piper 1 Version 2
Gen7-ARM 2.0 / Teacup
E3D V6

MPCNC
RAMPS 1.4/ Marlin
Attachments:
open | download - PiperFront1.JPG (121 KB)
open | download - PiperRear2.JPG (129.7 KB)
open | download - PiperFrame5.JPG (129.9 KB)
open | download - PiperParts3.JPG (142.3 KB)
open | download - PiperRoller4.JPG (109.1 KB)
Re: Piper 1 version 2
April 21, 2019 03:57PM
I completed the build by adding a Gen7-ARM controller, E3D-V6 hot end, and a Air tripper Bowden
Extruder. These were all spare or left over parts from other printer upgrades.
The 608 bearings, pulleys, some metric hardware and the conduit were
the only items I had to order.

After battling extrusion issues I was able to get this first print. Of the 4 RepRap printers I have made this is by far the best 1st print I've gotten.
I still have some fine tuning to do, but I'm confident that I'll get some fairly good quality prints from It.

I'm sure that had this design been released 3 or 4 years ago it would have been a very popular printer. The tubing does make for a sturdy structure
although not a sturdy as square aluminum extrusions. It is a whole lot easier to cut and assemble than the extrusions.
Attachments:
open | download - PiperRearB.jpg (78.2 KB)
open | download - PiperFrontB.jpg (79.2 KB)
open | download - 1st-Print.png (522.6 KB)
May 04, 2019 12:26PM
Congradulations with your build! It looks great!
Shank man

After battling extrusion issues I was able to get this first print. Of the 4 RepRap printers I have made this is by far the best 1st print I've gotten.
I still have some fine tuning to do, but I'm confident that I'll get some fairly good quality prints from It.
Thank you!
Check Piper 2 version 2 as well.
May 05, 2019 07:43AM
I like that smiling smiley
May 12, 2019 02:45PM
My second print is this 117 x 117 x 118 Super Lattice Cube. it took just over 9-1/2 hours to complete. I don't think
for a minute that its a great print but considering it was made on this low budget printer, its not too bad.
The layers are consistent but the surface has a rough finish. Slowing down the printer might improve
the quality a little. This was printed at 40mm/Second.

While the cube was printing, I noticed that not all of the bearings were riding on the conduit. There are
probably a multitude of reasons for this. Out of round or bent EMT, my printed parts not coming out accurate or
the cheap Bangood 608 bearings. None of which I will attempt to replace or fix.
Attachments:
open | download - LatticeCube.JPG (163.7 KB)
open | download - Layers.jpg (687.8 KB)
May 22, 2019 12:03PM
There were few changes in resent time. New Z roller with 2 additional holes to tighten bearings around the pipe in version 2, and optional version 3 update came out with updates replacing Z roller with Z PTFE sliders and 8 and 12mm linear rods conversion on XY.
May 23, 2019 05:39AM
piper3d
There were few changes in resent time. New Z roller with 2 additional holes to tighten bearings around the pipe in version 2, and optional version 3 update came out with updates replacing Z roller with Z PTFE sliders and 8 and 12mm linear rods conversion on XY.

okay thank you, I'll take a look at those. There are probably some other details I missed along the way. In spite of not having following the latest design, I'm still able to get some good prints. I printed this
largish print over the weekend. The printer was able to pick up the details. If its easy enough, I will incorporate the upgrades, get some longer Z screws, and put on a larger print surface.

By the way, good design. Its a great RepRap printer
Attachments:
open | download - Birdhouse1.jpg (232.4 KB)
May 26, 2019 04:30PM
Shank man
I'm still able to get some good prints. I printed this
largish print over the weekend. The printer was able to pick up the details.
Wow looks great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login