Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hephaistos - IDEX Ultimaker style

Posted by Fabiandelete 
Hephaistos - IDEX Ultimaker style
December 29, 2019 11:58AM
Hi All,

I would like to present and discuss my new project. A 400x400x600 IDEX printer with Ultimaker style gantry. The printer is now in design phase and I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

Frame
3030 Motedis B Aluminium extrusion
Not sure yet if I'm going to connect them with only an endbolt, which requires milling, or with connectors, which is more expensive.

Electronics
Bigtreetech SKR V1.1 Pro mainboard
E3d Volcano hotend (clone)
48mm 42BYGH Nema 17 for Z
40mm 17HS4401 Nema 17 for others
24v 240w power supply
380x380 230V 800W silicone heater
BLtouch clone

Basic design
So the printer will feature two independent X carriages to be able to do multi material, multi color of duplication prints. The printer will have a sealed filament storage on the side as well as electronics outside the build chamber. Everything will be covered with 2/3mm polycarbonate. The Carriage will ride on 16mm fixed rods with 12mm rods for the moving parts. The steppers will drive 5mm carbon tubes which will be attached to belts and to the moving rods.
The Z will be supported by triple leadscrew and triple 16mm rods.
All 3D printed parts for the printer part will be PETG, parts for the filament and electronics side will be PLA (or PETG if needed).

That's it for now. I hope to get your feedback on the design. The current design is viewable with this link Click (Please note that what you can see is what was visible when I saved, so it might appear emtpy).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 12:03PM by Fabiandelete.
Re: Hephaistos - IDEX Ultimaker style
December 30, 2019 11:42AM
Will 5mm carbon tubes flex or break? Frame looks like my old hifi stand idea, what did you salvage it from?
December 30, 2019 12:35PM
5mm carbon tubes will not flex nor break. They are only loaded in torsion to drive the belts, nothing else.
The frame is my imagination and will be made from 3030 extrusions. But your hifi stand might be an idea if i can get one for a good price.
December 30, 2019 01:56PM
I picked mine up for £10 just wondering why all the shelf space to the left?
December 31, 2019 05:03PM
Some carbon fibre tubes are fairly weak in torsion, the extruded sort with fibres only parallel to the tube I've heard are prone to splitting in torsion because the parallel carbon fibres provide no strength. You're left with the resin which is weakened by the inclusion of the carbon fibre similar to particle filled filaments. The other sort with carbon fibres going in multiple directions both axially and around the circumference are ok though I think.
January 01, 2020 06:14AM
I’m aware of the extruded carbon “problem”. However, I’m still going to use them. I used them before and am certain that the motors will seize/skip before the carbon will split. And if it does split. Well, back to aluminium or steel.
January 01, 2020 11:44AM
Roll-wrapped carbon fibre tube should be strong enough, it's the cheaper pulltruded type that will split under torsion.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 02, 2020 09:00AM
What kind of comment do you expect when you just show about one percent of the whole "project" ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 02, 2020 02:31PM
MKSA
What kind of comment do you expect when you just show about one percent of the whole "project" ?
What is showed is where I am at this moment. And what I expected are useful comments like earlier. And some general feedback on the idea and tips and tricks for this kind of a printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login