Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimaker: sourcing and building without the kit

Posted by stratmaster458 
Ultimaker: sourcing and building without the kit
August 09, 2011 09:33PM
Hello,

I have decided to source all the parts for an Ultimaker and build it from scratch without purchasing the kit. The kit is just too expensive for me and since it is an open source printer I figured that I should be able to build it myself finding all the parts without the kit. So far Ihave laser cut all the parts from birch plywood, acrylic, and delrin. I am running into the following problems

- a concrete parts list
- what motors to use
- where to buy the shield for the Arduino mega
- parts list for the shield
- what belts to use
- what steel rods to use?
- where to get M3 square nuts

I am very lost, as soon as I finished laser cutting the parts I went to search for what I needed next and quickly discovered there is hardly any info. Does anyone here know where I can find what I need to find?
Re: Ultimaker: sourcing and building without the kit
August 10, 2011 01:32AM

- what motors to use

[reprap.org]

- where to buy the shield for the Arduino mega
- parts list for the shield

[reprap.org]

For the later: any electronics will work.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 17, 2011 05:28AM
From my experience routing sourcing and building a cupcake:
Most probably you won't save much in comparison to the kit's cost, but will learn much more in the journey.
If that is really what you want (like: be prepared to read tons, comb the forums ad the whole net for information, gather the right materials and imagine creative solutions for whatever does not perfectly fit in, dedicate time and energy), way to go! Welcome on board.
August 17, 2011 09:49AM
Open source does not necessarily mean easy to reproduce.

I built an ultimaker style machine a few months ago and had a very hard time finding suitable pulleys, brass bushings, and double wide linear bearings. I eventually had to machine my own bushings and heavily modify a number of pulleys. I fudged it with multiple bearings instead of wide ones, but I never felt like it was a really good solution.
September 17, 2011 12:47AM
For suitable pulleys, brass bushings, and double wide linear bearings, did you try Misumi?

They're a really good supplier, IMO.

stratmaster458 - As far as I can tell Ultimaker really hasn't disclosed an actual bill of materials, which rather severely strains the definition of 'open source', seeing as it is very difficult to actually source parts equivalent to the ones they used. I was hoping to find out what kind of couplings they use for their bowden cable, since it would make it much easier to design my bowden extruder... but alas, apparently they're keeping that information secret.
September 30, 2011 09:04AM
jbayless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was hoping to find out what
> kind of couplings they use for their bowden cable,
> since it would make it much easier to design my
> bowden extruder...

I am also building an Ultimaker clone. I'm just going to find a design for a 1.75mm extruder and add a bowden coupling.
October 27, 2011 07:14PM
Have you seen?

[art_of_Batch_01" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">wiki.ultimaker.com]

I haven't gone through the whole list but it seems accurate comparing it to my set.
November 21, 2011 08:03AM
Seen the topic, you might be able to help me:
Do you know how to fit the Bowden cable for 1.7mm filament? I looked at Ultimaker website and found no info. Not even on emaker which uses the same...
Thanks
June 21, 2012 10:11AM
stratmaster458,

Recommendations on the Electronics... they have motors, arduino stuff, and even a full electronics kit for 3D printing. Got my motors from them.

[www.jayconsystems.com]
July 29, 2012 01:30AM
I'm building a Ultimaker clone without the kit.

I estimate it will cost only $500 including all the bearing,motors and electronics etc.
I have used the X-Y axis principle from the Ultimake but instead of using a Plywood chassis I'm using Alum square tube.
Connect-IT tube

I have prevoiusly converted my milling machine to a CNC setup so some of the parts I'm going to machine out of plastic. but once I have the 3d printer up and running these parts could be easily made.

I have just order a Sanguinololu 1.3b PCB off ebay [reprap.org] and I can't see any reason this wouldn't work with the Ultimaker design.

Bearings, gears, belts and linear rods I purchased from [www.aliexpress.com] (so cheap from China!!)

I'm going to experiment with pnematic tube and fittings for the bowden tube and extruder. Still trying to find a cheap supplier for the extruder gears - it would be so much easier if you could direct drive the 1.75mm ABS but I don't think the resolution wouldn't be good enough.

Stuck on the Z-Axis design at the moment and tring to work out a easy way for me to build the plate support.

I will post more details as I complete the design.
Attachments:
open | download - Glennbot.jpg (585.3 KB)
July 29, 2012 03:25PM
1.75mm direct drive is about the same resolution as 3mm with gearing.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 04, 2012 02:12PM
Could you post the BOM Please smiling smiley
August 12, 2012 11:24AM
wow nice effort there !

im about doing something similar to yours from scratch as well. i initially got very excited seeing how well the ultimaker prints, then i realised what i really wanted to try was something big, so i intended to mix and match several ideas. i am currently moving more in the direction of the cartesian. and yes i order most of the precision parts online like bearings, timing belts, arduino, etc ...

and good luck in your build !!! grinning smiley

[shop.polybelt.com]
[stores.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 11:27AM by redreprap.
October 03, 2012 02:37AM
Hey folks, I sort of abandoned this project soon after laser cutting the parts. It been well over a year since I ahve thought about it but I have gotten back into 3D printing through my college's makerspace. We have 7 working RepRaps and 7 more in the works.

I was given the frame of a RepRap Wallace (just metal rods and plastic parts) and the plan was to modify it into a printer similar to the Mendel90. But basically now we have 7 printers and 7 more on the way, they are all mendel variants, it would not be that useful to the club to have yet another RepRap so I am revisiting the idea of sourcing all the parts for an Ultimaker but running it off a Sanguinololu board that I started populating for my Wallace. I'm still going to finish the Wallace redesign to keep in my apartment but it would be more worthwhile for the club if I built an ultimaker.

Anyone here actaully build one or were you all waiting on me to get to it?

Anyways I have found the following links in the last few hours:
[art_of_Batch_01" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">wiki.ultimaker.com]
[forum.ultimaker.com]
[groups.google.com]

I have all the laser cut parts and a Sanguinololu almost assembled. Soon I will be ordering NEMA 17s, Screws, and Pololu stepper drive clones from china. I can use these parts with a multitude of different printers so I only need to be cautious with ordering the metal rods , lead screws, barrings, pulleys, and the likes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login