Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SLM on substrate with lower melting point than powder

Posted by Pawel 
SLM on substrate with lower melting point than powder
May 04, 2010 07:55PM
Dear community members,

I have a general question concerning the SLM technique and specially about the possiblity of processing a metal powder (for instance steel powder) on a substrate , which has a melting point of about 800°C and a high vapour pressure additionally. Since this is approximately 200°C lower than for the steel it should be not possible in first approximation. But then I thought, when the powder layer could reach a higher thickness (~ 200-300um) it could act as a thermal barrier for the substrate. Or by application of a first (fast or low energy) exposure, where a first sintering could take place giving the opportunity for second exposure while saving the substrate from too high temperatures by a higher lateral thermal conductivity of the partially sintered or molten and solidified powder from the first exposure

Was it ever mentioned, that such kind of material combination was processed by SLM? Could it be possible by means of a second exposure to melt the possibly not totaly densified powder layer while remaining the temperature of the substrate below its evaporation temperature?

I would be very grateful about any comments or literature recommandations.
Many thanks in advance,

Pawel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login