Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This could be the one.... (hopefully) smileys with beer

Posted by stlouistechy 
This could be the one.... (hopefully) smileys with beer
May 24, 2010 02:32PM
So I have spent the last 2 weeks now developing my idea's on a realistic approach to building my own 3D printer/Rapid Prototype machine at home. And thanks to RepRap forums, I have learned a ton from others experiences in this area.

I have decided to take on the InkJet printing route since it is the most inexpensive in parts and materials if that secret recipe ingredient is found. And this weekend, I think I have done just that (pending more testing).

I have found at my local hardware store a powdered Plastic Resin that has very fine grain, and runs only $9 per lb. I did some testing on it this weekend. Pre-mixed with water, it forms an extremely strong plastic type solid that cures within a few hours. I took this powder, and placed a thin layer of it in my oven at 400 degrees, and sprayed it with hot tap water one layer at a time. I was able to cure this thin layer of water into a hardened solid within 60 seconds using my oven.

It does shrink quite a bit after pulling it out to cool, so of course the tempature will need to be brought down in a controlled setting, which I don't think should be hard to accomplish. If this powder can handle very fine amounts of water, then the inkjet method should be a great solution as long as I can get the cartridges to handle distilled water, and maybe a little alcohol to help it cure faster.

I spent my weekend deconstructing one of my InkJet printers, and pulling everything apart, and am 80% done and ready for the first attempt at printing water onto my powder solution. I basically performed the same steps as another member which documented everything here:
[www.indoor.flyer.co.uk]

However, here are my biggest concerns... I know I can use the printers current electronics to handle the X and Y axis, not sure about the printer heads returning to a starting location however. And I will need to build an automated logic to process the Z axis (bed lowering) as well as a finishing process of my roller pushing new material over the bed much like the CandyFab solution.

Can anyone help out with this piece of the project? I am hoping to use just the print heads and possibly motors, and have RepRap's software solution handle the pinpointing of where the printer heads need to be, and when to express fluid from the cartridges.

Does anyone know if RepRap's software can currently support InkJet print heads instead of a extruder? If I can figure this piece out, we may have a total working solution here that I can begin posting a knowledgebase for on wiki and the forums.

I will attach pictures of what I have accomplished tonight, thanks ahead of time for the support!
Re: This could be the one.... (hopefully) smileys with beer
May 25, 2010 06:27AM
Here's a snapshot of a student's work.
[reprap.org]

There are a few people working on inkjet stuff, but the communications and organization is still gelling.

I'd suggest putting the photos up in a wiki page if you like, by the way.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login