Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SLS from fiber laser engraver

Posted by trgtylcnky 
SLS from fiber laser engraver
February 10, 2017 08:05AM
Hi,
I came across this machine: [www.lightobject.com]
It has 110 x 110 mm working area and 0.01 mm resolution. I am thinking about building SLS machine based on this.

OpenSLS is based on a CO2 laser cutter. I think this fiber laser engraver would be better on many things; cooling, speed, footprint etc...
VDX
Re: SLS from fiber laser engraver
February 10, 2017 09:29AM
... good luck smileys with beer

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 10, 2017 11:32AM
So which ship from China
is delivering the 5 tons of powdered nylon / abs / pla
to be used for your sintering

Could you scoop me up 20 pounds that I can try sintering?

confused smiley
VDX
February 10, 2017 03:42PM
... it's only "coincidence", but today I too got a XY-galvoscanner with 110x110mm scanning area, driven with E1701D scanner controller and software BeamConstruct running winking smiley

Now I have to build adapters and holders for three types of fiber-laser heads and another holder for a beam-expander to start testing with fiber-coupled laserdiodes too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 19, 2017 07:54AM
Hello Viktor,

I am trying to make a SLS printer using E1701D controller and Beamconstruct. But the topic is new for me and I do not have enough knowledge.

I see that you have experience with this board. I have just started and I do not know how to connect my laser to the controller even that I have the manual.
My laser driver has two controlling pins. One of them will be connected to LaserA pin of the controller. Should I connect the other one to the Pin 12 as GND.Or not?
I know it`s a very simple question but since the laser control signal of Controller have two GND pins (12,14), I am confused.

Thank you very much in advanced.
Sara
Attachments:
open | download - dd.png (70.9 KB)
VDX
July 19, 2017 03:10PM
Hi Sara,

the GND's are internally connected, so you can use any of them.

My laser needs two driving connections from "LaserA" and "Gate" (both with GND) to control the Power and MO -- but this depends on your laser type, so can vary ...

Viktor
--------

July 19, 2017 08:05PM
I'll ask again

Where are you getting powdered nylon / abs / pla
to be used for your sintering

confused smiley
VDX
July 20, 2017 02:49AM
... you can search for "PA12" for nylon powder -- e.g. [www.vestosint.de]

White powder can be mixed with carbon black to get better absorbing, when using diode lasers ...

Viktor
--------

July 20, 2017 03:46AM
Thank you very much Viktor.

I am using this Diode Laser.
[www.lasertack.com]

I realise that I have to switch to the E1701A controller, because my Galvo Scanner inputs are analog. Digital controller was not a good idea. I am waiting for the new controller to start to work again. smiling smiley
July 20, 2017 10:04PM
So will they sell you less than a metric ton?

1 kg nylon powder 139 euro?

confused smiley
VDX
July 21, 2017 02:14AM
... common selling amounts are 25kg -- but mostly b2b only, "not for privatiers" eye rolling smiley

But with some luck you can get free samples for testing - got some meters to kilometers thin wire or up to 2kg lignin powder for free, when chatted with material developers winking smiley

Viktor
--------

July 27, 2017 05:55AM
Hallo Viktor,

I got problems for calibrating the Galvo Scanners. I have a diode laser and 40 Kpps Galvo scanner with its drivers. As for the controller I have E1701A. I know that I cannot calibrate the Galvo Scanners using Beamconstrukt.
Could you tell me, how did you calibrate your laser Scanners? Do I have to get another software? Is it for free?
I read tutorials regarding ILDA test pattern but I do not have ILDA interface and the test pattern file.

Could you help me? Is there any other way besides of ILDA test pattern?
Sara
VDX
July 27, 2017 06:39AM
Hi Sara,

what's your problem with BeamConstruct?

I'm setting the multiplicators in the scanner configuration to meet the dimensional abbreviation - actually it's 0,797 for X and 0,836 for Y.

The geometrical distortion can be adjusted with the programm CorrCorrect.exe in the OpenAPC folder ...

Viktor
--------

July 27, 2017 07:03AM
I though before starting the Print I should calibrate and tune the Galvo Scanner (Initial calibration) So that I have the beam in the middle of the powder bed.
Before I start to print shouldn`t the beam be in the middle (or have a reference place)?

Sara
July 27, 2017 07:35AM
For the Corrcorrect program I have to laod a correction data file. Do I have to define it myself or I can get it?
The only information which is needed by Beamconstruct or Corrcorrect regarding calibration are: the working area size and the distance of X- and Y-scanners from the powder bad? Then I can upload my CAD file and start to print?

Thank you in advance
Sara
VDX
July 27, 2017 09:39AM
Hi Sara,

with a standard scanner configuration the beam is in the middle - this can be done mechanically by turning the galvos in the mount.

The CorrCorrect.exe can generate this correction data file, which then will be loaded into BeamConstruct configuration - it's only meant to compensate distortion.

What you'll need to get correct dimensional values are the adjusting/scaling values for X and Y - to get them, you can scan a square with e.g. 50x50mm ... measure the result ... and if not correct, adjust the scaling factor for the axe ... repeat this, until you get the correct size ...

Viktor
--------

July 30, 2017 10:43AM
Hi cozmicray,

lately found http://a3dm-shop.com/AdSint-SLS-Powders/.
Did not get an answer for my request yet but maybe you can try ur luck.

Sven
July 30, 2017 04:17PM
People here and other forums are doing SLS powder printing

Where they get powder still a mystery to me?

confused smiley
July 30, 2017 05:35PM
Well u can easily buy powder from for example Sintratec, its just pretty expensive...
Asking a 3D Hub close to you that does SLS for some spare or leftover powder might be another idea.
VDX
July 31, 2017 03:19AM
... a good source for testing with is toner for laser-printers - it's essentially latex with soot winking smiley

Viktor
--------

July 31, 2017 03:44AM
Hallo Viktor,
I get it

Thank you smiling smiley
Sara
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login