March 15, 2011 03:49AM
Open3dp have a new powderbed machine they have developed Here

Random Precision
Re: AdderFab from open3dp
May 06, 2011 03:55AM
We've got some docs going in the wiki here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/AdderFab grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
VDX
May 06, 2011 04:21AM
Hi Sebastien,

... by reading through the Open3dp-blog i found their successfull tests with fine powdered salt for powder printing.

As salt can withstand much higher temperatures than sugar but is water soluble too, this could be a good candidate for support material for other methodes too (e.g. laser-sintering).

Some more brainstorming: - maybe a water soluble material mixed from salt and a thermoplastic powder (e.g. lignin) could be formed to filament for using in the extruder?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 06, 2011 01:13PM
As salt can withstand much higher temperatures than sugar but is water soluble too, this could be a good candidate for support material for other methodes too (e.g. laser-sintering).

Tablesalt (NaCl) is IR-transparent, according to this paper I have not read: http://utwired.utexas.edu/lff/symposium/proceedingsArchive/pubs/Manuscripts/2008/2008-54-Niino.pdf.

(via http://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&q=laser+sintered+sodium+chloride)

Are you suggesting a powder printer layering two different and separate types of powder? Or simply a layer of salt? or ... ? It is a bit fussy depositing two powders at once. (And also, powder printers don't need support material, the powder is the support, right?)

Some more brainstorming: - maybe a water soluble material mixed from salt and a thermoplastic powder (e.g. lignin) could be formed to filament for using in the extruder?

I'd test the material in a granule-feeder type extruder first, to evaluate it before paying money to get several deci or hectameters of new filament made. I think reprap-dev-deutsch did one up recently? (I don't think the wiki knows about it. hint-hint-hint grinning smiley)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
VDX
May 06, 2011 03:46PM
Hi Sebastien,

... you don't need support for powder bed printing - but it's a good idea for directed SLS, where you blow dust in a hot laserspot on a solidified surface, let it melt to a blob and 'draw' complex materialized paths in 3D ... here thin structures won't be solid enough until cooled down, so previous drawn support structures will help. With two (or more) nozzles blowing different powders in the laserspot you can vary the material.

And for melting 'transparent' materials you can mix the salt powder with carbon or other pigments, so the pigment absorbs the laser energy and melt the salt powder - i made this with icing shugar, what's IR-transparent too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login