Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ZCorp powder model reliability

Posted by karhong 
ZCorp powder model reliability
September 02, 2011 09:47PM
Hi,
I am new to this project, and still tryig to understang the 3D printing domain. I have few questions for your advice ::

I know the the plastics from RepRap (ie ABS and PLA) can be used to built another RepRap, or even simple boxy enclosures for electronics.

Are the plaster parts from ZCorp Z250 printer be used for the above too ? Will the plaster parts crack if I tighten too hard ?
Will a Z250 plaster box enclousure crack if I dropped it from 5M height onto a hard concrete floor ?

If I print a garden hose gun (with spray-on epoxy resin infiltration), can the plaster product withstand the water pressure ?

I dont think a plaster product is a functional product, but your comments are highly appreciated.

Coming from software background, my material science knowledge is zero. Thanks in advance for you input. Rgds.
Re: ZCorp powder model reliability
September 03, 2011 06:08AM
Without infiltration, you can crack a ZCorp part with your bare fingers. So, any sign of rigidity comes from the infiltrated resin. With a spray-on you'll only infiltrate the surface. This is fine for design samples, but nowhere close to injection molded parts. Your garden gun will fail, except if you design it several times more rigid than usual.

Also, RepRap parts are nowhere limited to boxy designs. It's just reprappers aren't used to curvy designs, yet, so machine capabilities aren't fully exposed so far.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login