Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skeinforge makes Diaphragm layers randomly

Posted by BogyX 
Skeinforge makes Diaphragm layers randomly
October 12, 2011 07:41AM
Hello

I notice, that in some cases interior of my parts is not filed with pattern, but there are some random layers, that are full.
I cannot say what is the coase for that but sims preaty random to mi - first 2 full, then 6 pattern, then 2 full, then 12 pattern, then 8 full,....
SF 11.04.26.

What to do?

Regards

Bogdan
Re: Skeinforge makes Diaphragm layers randomly
October 12, 2011 08:10AM
I saw that happen with off-the-web STLs that are not absolutely clean (warnings reported by skeinforge).

Non-manifold, auto intersecting, etc. can be cause for skeinforge to be lost about what is the outside and the inside of the objects, leading him to create "shell" layers in the middle of the object.

Possible non perfect solutions : Find a way to clean the STL, redo the model from scratch using a modeller that is know to produce good STLs, or live with it sad smiley
October 12, 2011 12:04PM
Its most likely that Skeinforge sees those areas a having overhangs and you have "infill in direction of bridge" enabled in the carve tab. Just turn it off and it will stop making the diaphragm layers. Remember to turn it back on when printing structural parts.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 12, 2011 01:54PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its most likely that Skeinforge sees those areas a
> having overhangs and you have "infill in direction
> of bridge" enabled in the carve tab. Just turn it
> off and it will stop making the diaphragm layers.
> Remember to turn it back on when printing
> structural parts.

Sometimes this fixes it, sometimes no. I have a crappy STL where turning off "infill in direction of bridge" helps a bit, but not totally. If that doesn't completely banish the problem, it's likely that you have a sloppily-made STL and Skeinforge is getting confused by the geometry.
October 12, 2011 02:07PM
October 12, 2011 06:29PM
Dave Durant Wrote:
> [cloud.netfabb.com] ?

Tried that and it didn't help. One thing that I noticed is that in the case of my bad stl, it's not just that some layers are totally solid; in addition, other layers are half solid and half the desired infill pattern. And yeah, "infill in direction of bridge" is off.
October 12, 2011 07:17PM
If the sides are sloping enough to make the ends of the infill close to an outside horizontal surface it will force the infill to be solid. For example if you have solid layers set to three then if there are less then three layers above the end of the infill it will be solid. You can reduce the chance of this by having more shells.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 12, 2011 11:51PM
nophead Wrote:
> If the sides are sloping enough to make the ends
> of the infill close to an outside horizontal
> surface it will force the infill to be solid. For
> example if you have solid layers set to three then
> if there are less then three layers above the end
> of the infill it will be solid. You can reduce the
> chance of this by having more shells.

Turns out that the culprit was a combination of that and having "Solid Surface Thickness (layers)" set to anything but one. Each layer on the shallow slope was seen by Skeinforge as exposed to the top, so it forced the previous layer to be solid, and when every layer has this property, the whole thing wound up solid. Thanks for the leads!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login