Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder paths too far apart

Posted by BogyX 
Extruder paths too far apart
March 09, 2012 04:36AM
Hello again.

I would like to thank all for help that you offer before.

At attached picture you can see, that when printing thin layers (that are wider as one print layer of around 0,8mm - so let say 1,5mm thick) machine does not fill the space between.
Any suggestions what to write to (I think those two parameters are responsible - but I'm not sure) Carve - Perimeter Width over Thickness (currently 1,8) and Speed - Flow rate (currently 500 (at 23mm/s speed)).

The second question is for the lower part section - the thickness is around 1,2mm and machine (Skeinforge before that :-) ) makes one path, and then it cycles in XY direction to get some small additional width - is there something to do regarding more smooth surface.

Thank you all and best regards.

Bogdan
Attachments:
open | download - path.jpg (226 KB)
Re: Extruder paths too far apart
March 09, 2012 05:19AM
I don't know what is going on at the bottom but the reason you get an unfilled gap is that the gap is smaller than a filament width.

You can print something exactly two filaments wide, but anything > 2 and < 3 does not get infill. You either need to make the wall thicker or reduce your filament width, which may also need a reduction in layer height.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 12, 2012 04:03AM
Hmm - thank you.

Regards

Bogdan
March 13, 2012 03:43AM
Hello.
I made another picture of solid part and it can be seen, that there is the same problem. Shells are too far apart.
Is there parameter that can correct that? I know, that probably I can solve that with more material, but I think it is better to put head paths more together to get part solid.

Thank you and best regards.

Bogdan
Attachments:
open | download - parts.jpg (114.8 KB)
March 13, 2012 06:45AM
As I said before: you either need to make the wall of your part thicker or reduce your filament width.

The spacing of the walls will be correct to make the wall thickness you have designed. If your design has a wall size in between two and three filament widths the gap cannot be filled as the infill would have to be thinner that your filament width.

March 13, 2012 06:55AM
An alternative is to make your walls thinner so they are exactly two filaments wide to avoid the gap.

In theory the nozzle could run over the gap and inject plastic down the narrow slot with a reduced flow rate to just fill it, but I don't think any of the current slicers do that. The would be a limit to how thin the slot could be as the pressure would become too great at some point. It is likely to leave a ridge as well as the pressure displaces the nozzle upwards.

March 14, 2012 02:51AM
Thanks.

But you shod now, that part on second picture is solid - it does not heave a thin wall.

Regards

Bogdan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login