Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

getting a blob at the start of each thread??

Posted by AgeingHippy 
getting a blob at the start of each thread??
March 13, 2011 09:48AM
New thread created as it is a different issue.

In response to my stating I get a blob at the start of each new extruded thread in this forum thread brnrd asked:-

>What did you set your retract and restart to?
>I guess with the new firmware setting for SF 40
>you should have it set to 1 and 0, respectively.
>If your restart is larger than 0, then you will probably
>get a blob.

My retract distance is set to 2.0 mm and restart extra distance set to 0.0 mm. My retraction speed is set to 10 mm/s

Cheers
Re: getting a blob at the start of each thread??
March 13, 2011 12:06PM
I have my retraction speed set to 300 mm/s (18000 mm/min) which is the default setting in the reprap host. With PLA, I don't get blobs most of the time and with ABS, I haven't seen blobs so far.

The one thing that fixed retract/restart in my case was blowing air at the PTFE insulation for cooling. I have an Adrian Geared extruder in the standard X mount and I think there's not enough ventilation in this configuration to prevent too much of the feed from getting soft. This problem is worse for PLA than ABS since it has a lower Tg. I wrote about this in another thread. Without the additional cooling, retract doesn't stop the ooze. Maybe your problem is related.

Also, 2 mm might be too much retract. Nophead recommends 1 mm to start with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 12:12PM by brnrd.
March 13, 2011 12:27PM
Gosh - 300mm/s!! is that with sf40 so that is 30mm of feedstock a second!!

??
March 13, 2011 12:45PM
AgeingHippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gosh - 300mm/s!! is that with sf40 so that is 30mm
> of feedstock a second!!
>
> ??

He said he was using the reprap host, which uses the extruded filament speed rather than the feedstock speed. I use 2 mm and 30 mm/s for my sf40 settings. You want to use as fast a retraction as your extruder stepper can handle without skipping steps. I print with PLA at 175 C and with those settings have no issues with blobbing.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 13, 2011 02:58PM
Oops. Sorry, I haven't changed my firmware settings yet. NewPerfection is right, that's the speed in terms of extruded filament that I'm using with Skeinforge 040. So your retraction speed is about right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login