Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which settings to adjust?

Posted by Shibboleth 
Which settings to adjust?
October 13, 2011 07:36PM
Hi,
I'm in the calibtration phase at the moment, and I've got two problems with my prints. However, I'm not sure which SFact settings that I need to play with to improve the print.

My first problem is 'saggy walls'. Most of the walls look okay, but some are quite saggy. - See photo one.

The second problem is that the 'solid flat surfaces', like on the base of the minimug, aren't completely filled in. - See photo two.

If anyone could suggest which settings that I should be primarily looking at, I'd be very grateful.
Attachments:
open | download - photo_one.JPG (272.7 KB)
open | download - photo_two.JPG (264.1 KB)
Re: Which settings to adjust?
October 13, 2011 08:51PM
Saggy walls: slow down your perimeter feed rate and use a fan to cool the in-progress print.

Non-solid flat surfaces: that also looks like you're going too fast, maybe. What's your infill reed rate?
October 14, 2011 01:30AM
Have you calibrated the E steps in the firmware, so that if you tell it to extrude 100mm that it does actually take in 100mm?

October 14, 2011 07:10AM
It seems you are overextruding.. If you are using the "current daily" calibration will not work if you have cool enabled...
And regarding problem solving: always try to solve one at each time.. And correct extrusion volume almost solves all problems (if you are not having hardware/hotware problems)

Manufacturer of low tolerance Filaments PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, PA, PVA,
[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
October 14, 2011 02:40PM
Looking at the bottom of the cup, sometimes the extruded filament is thick, sometimes it leaves only small traces, or it is missing at all. Sort of extruded filament is not consistent. Mark the filament 10cm above extruder and you might check to see that sometimes it pulls the filament down, but sometimes you may notice the wheel is moving but the filament is not.

Probably hardware issue, e.g. your hobbed bolt is partly covered in material shavings already, and is slipping in that part, producing the "missing lines" pattern. Probable causes that lead to this can be: motor current too low so motor doesnt have enough torque + springs tension too low. Clean the bolt, increase motor current, tighten the springs much more than they were and try again.

Or maybe you are trying to extrude too fast, e.g. faster than the extruder can physically do it. Which leads to shavings like that soon to cover the hobbed area. Slow down, and if you have a firmware with MAX_e_steps_permm, experiment to find that value, in order to make sure that it will be compiled with lower than that.

If it feels like there is no end to it, then maybe the filament is too thick for where it has to go and it gets stuck somewhere on the path. E.g. 3mm filament abs in a 3mm hole tends to get stuck when approaches the heated part. Depending on your hot end you might increase that hole/path diameter from 3.0 to 3.2 but then might get in trouble with 2.7 filaments which if inconsistent can get down to 2.5 on some segments. If you have more than one type of filament, measure their diameters with digital caliper and try with the smallest diameter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 02:47PM by NoobMan.
October 16, 2011 09:46PM
Thanks for the all the advice! I'll give it a go, once I get my hot-end running again. moody smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login