Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder retracting filament at start of print

Posted by dbarbe 
Extruder retracting filament at start of print
January 03, 2013 08:18PM
OK, I've looked everywhere, what setting would make skeinforge retract an inch or more of filament at the start of a print? I can't see or understand what in the g-code would cause this. Anyone have an idea as to what setting might cause this?
Re: Extruder retracting filament at start of print
January 03, 2013 09:27PM
It's always a good idea to have a "G92 E0" statement at the front of your gcode. You can get this in skeinforge through the start alteration file. This command resets the E axis. Basically what it tells the firmware is "Whatever your current position is - consider that to be 0". That way your first extrude command will be relative to 0 which is probably what you want.

Without this command, the E axis will retain the value from whatever it was doing before - including manual extrusions.

I got burned by this very early on when I switched from Slic3r to skeinforge, except my retraction wasn't just an inch. It retracted at a relatively high speed for a good 15 seconds. It took quite a bit of effort to get the hobbed bolt cleaned out.
January 05, 2013 08:06PM
Thanks. I'll add that.
January 11, 2013 03:33AM
Into my start.gcode, just after having purged the nozzle, I write this:

G92 E0 (as said by Jbernardis)
G1 X100 Y100 E-3.0 F4500 (going to the center of Mendel's plate and retracting filament for 3 mm)

After that, gcode written by Skeinforge automatically pushes the 3 mm just before printing.

François
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login