Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skeinforge is producing inaccurate gcode

Posted by Jonny1983 
Skeinforge is producing inaccurate gcode
April 19, 2013 05:52AM
Does anyone know why my Skeinforge isn't slicing this stl accurately. The stl looks fine in Sketchup, but once sliced I put it through a GCode Analyser and the eye just isn't right. It's square at the top and missing a bit at the bottom. Anyone got any ideas?

FYI, it's the Eye of Thundera from the Sword of Omens up on Thingiverse.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 05:53AM by Jonny1983.
Attachments:
open | download - Eye of Thundera Sketchup.jpg (51.9 KB)
open | download - Eye of Thundera GCode Analyser.jpg (93.6 KB)
VDX
Re: Skeinforge is producing inaccurate gcode
April 19, 2013 06:07AM
... it's a matter of geometrical accuracy/resolution and path-planning in the slicer - make your model 10 times finer and this artifacts will be 10x smaller ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 21, 2013 03:27PM
Thanks VDX, I doubled the number of sides and it's now sliced properly.
April 21, 2013 07:42PM
It looks like the problem is the eye meets the outer perimeter creating a zero thickness wall, which is non-manifold, i.e. a physical impossibility, which is why the slicer has trouble turning it into a physical object.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
April 22, 2013 03:02AM
... I think the path generating software simply avoids positions, that were already covered by a path -- so the single point, where the two inner bows meets, is already 'done' when the second path is calculated, so the path is reduced to the two last points. With adding more points (higer resolution) this 'skipping' is done too, but then the filament is close enough to fill the resulting gap, so it's not visible anymore ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login