Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skirts and First Layer Speed Questions

Posted by RyanMark 
Skirts and First Layer Speed Questions
June 16, 2013 03:26PM
Two questions about Skeinforge:

1) Is there a way to set the travel speed slower on the first layer? The reason I ask is the corner of the prints lift up when the hotend moves at travel speed between different objects on the bed

2) Is there a way to put two skirts around an object instead of one? Or would it be easier just to put a larger skirt around smaller objects by modifying the "Gap over Perimeter Ratio" by setting it to 200 (It is set to 50 right now). The reason behind asking this is the flow rate sometimes isn't established before the skirt is complete with smaller objects.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Skirts and First Layer Speed Questions
June 16, 2013 04:15PM
1) Yes this can be set in the Speed tab, under Object first layer settings. Lower the multiplier settings for your first layer and it will be slower. Another option against warping is playing with your temperatures or make use of a raft.

2) I don't know about an option of changing the skirt. I use some custom code at the start to make a blob on the edge of the bed to make sure the extruder starts perfectly (this solution is from Nophead)
June 16, 2013 09:59PM
Joost-b Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use some custom code at the start to make
> a blob on the edge of the bed to make sure the
> extruder starts perfectly (this solution is from
> Nophead)

Can you post the custom code?
June 16, 2013 10:26PM
@Joost

1) The print isn't warping, the ends get lifted up when the nozzle most past them. Also travel speed is not one of the multipliers that you can adjust for the first layer.

2) I do use Nopheads Oozebane. but it doesn't help for smaller prints.
June 17, 2013 11:43AM
@RyanMark
Maybe i don't fully understand your problem, but it looks to me that your printer isn't calibrated properly. I suggest to do the thin wall calibration test and fine tune your retraction settings. The first layer can be printed slower to increase adhesion to the bed, i don't see why slower travel (without extrusion) will help.

@jbernardis
Take a look here: HydraRaptor: Ooze free unattended start
June 17, 2013 11:20PM
A high travel speed alone shouldn't cause parts to lift. If I had to guess, I'd say the plastic isn't bonding to the print bed properly or the nozzle is crashing into over extruded plastic. You didn't mention if you're printing with PLA or ABS and what you're printing on or your printbed temperature. If everything is setup properly, a high travel speed should have no affect on adhesion.
June 18, 2013 06:02PM
I am printing with PLA, and have a Mendel90 kit from Nophead. The filament is Repraper (not the best I realize) and I am printing on blue tape. The hotend is 210C and the bed is 60C.

Is it possible I may need to increase the temperature on my first layer?
June 19, 2013 07:26AM
You don't need blue tape, you must print directly on bed's glass: PLA sticks very well on it, if it is hot enouth.

Your bed needs to be hot enouth: Nophead says (Mendel90 Manual) there is a more or less a 15° difference between asked and real temperatures, because the thermistance is under the bed.

So you need to ask a 70° temperature in Gcode (M140 S70) for really getting 55°, for example.

François
June 20, 2013 01:19PM
Reprapper PLA does not stick on glass.
October 06, 2013 02:01PM
Settings are available on SFACT

Manufacturer of low tolerance Filaments PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, PA, PVA,
[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login