Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quadrant style layered slices

Posted by Evilfz1 
Quadrant style layered slices
June 23, 2013 11:32PM
Hello, I am new to the fourm, but have been learning vigorously for the past few months about these machines for desktop use. I am now building my own. Mechanically you guys have shown that all this can be achieved, and what my printer will be lacking is adequate abilty to slice layers into quadrants.
my build area is goin to be some 2'x3'x4', and In some slicers I can input fields to accommodate that large of a build area, but then my layers are to big, and I need to break those layers into quadrants that will be projected individually per layer, to accommodate larger HD printed parts. im curious if anyone knows of any program that may be able to be developed for my circumstances. im not computer language literate but might have someone willing to organize some people who might be able to help soon...

this is what I think I know, it seems that once we slice our large parts into layers, they will then get sliced into quadrants according to our 2d projected dimensions (we'll say 10cm x 10 cm to make it easy but it would have a larger dimension for the width) so for this post sake, we'll say I need my large build area slices, sectioned into 12 rows of 8 columns at 10cm x 10cm (again, roughly) and once we have our images of all of those sectioned slices, we would then need to "single file" them according to our toolpath. our toolpath will negotiate the rows and columns accordingly, stopping and projecting 96 sections per layer (potentially, and roughly), then the same operation for the next layer only in reverse back to home, and then so on. so we would need the sectioned slices to be "in order" before we send it into powerpoint to be projected at the right time, once our axis moves into every next position. accommodating our necessary larger build envelope.

I trim trees, but am designing many regenerative technologies that will soon be employed into our electric motorcycle, as well as other devices, well, once we get prototyping. id like to say that will be within the next couple months. attached is a pic of the XY plane Im about to get parts ordered for! any advice will be much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 12:43PM by Evilfz1.
Re: Quadrant style layered slices
June 24, 2013 03:06AM
Evilfz1
...attached is a pic of the XZ plane...

confused smiley I don't see any attachment / picture!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
June 24, 2013 12:38PM
sorry, didn't realize it didn't load, should be there this time...
Attachments:
open | download - The SLA X axis.jpg (136.2 KB)
July 20, 2013 05:50PM
is there nobody out there that has any info?
July 22, 2013 03:00AM
If I understand you correctly you are building a large DLP resin printer where the projector only lights up a portion of the print area. If this is the case then you can simply use the slicer to create the bitmaps (jpeg,png or whatever) and then in a seconds step use/create a tool that creates several pictures from the first one i.e. layer1.jpg becomes layer1a.jpg layer1b.jpg layer1c.jpg and layer1d.jpg. You can use for example Irfanview in batch mode to accomplish this or write a program on your own to cut up the image into sections for projection.

If this is NOT what you are talking about then please explain further.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 15, 2013 07:13PM
I too have been working on this same concept. I am beginning with basic design. I will only use the X and Z axis to start. I think I can use Irfanview in batch mode and then use the mach 3 and power point script to show the sliced images and move the projector along the X axis. At first I will just move the projector over (1) position to try and double my build size. However I have 37" of linear motion to play with. Trying to work with the X and Y will probably need software built that could organize slides and G-code so that you would not need to move the projector to every position on the X and Y when there is nothing to project. I have reached out to 3 different DLP software developers and it could be something added in the future but not any time soon.
September 15, 2013 11:02PM
RH!!!I missed the email when u responded these couple months ago, thank you for showing up to my rescue, and yes since then I have learned a lot, just vary closely resembling what you are telling me, so thank you for the good advice! I will be also utilizing 3 wireless mice as encoders, instead of the hiedenheim scale encoders I looked at, over $1500 for my build. I figured I needed the scale rather than using a rotary encoder! hope you guys like that idea as well! I had also become very weary of asking "proper" software designers who say the want to help with very little to no response... anyways this shall remain open source and I am curious what someone more knowledgeable than I has to say about the mouse as an encoder idea? seems that a mouse's movement can be tweeked in the settings very widely, and could very easily be set up to give our system the feedback we are looking for!

Torrick, I wish you the best of luck, if u post on this thread I should see it and would love to watch your progress as well, but I can always miss one now and again.

I just ordered a rostock max bc my build is goin slow bc of work schedule, and I am not trying to waste effort on stuff that I cannot yet complete, so also to help be build some of my parts for my sla build, and hopfully to soon just be prototyping some of my smaller stuff I have in the works. together we can make a difference, I ask you to subscribe to me, evilfz1 on youtube! thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login