Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different printers - same issue? What SF setting to change?

Posted by bbence 
Different printers - same issue? What SF setting to change?
September 01, 2013 09:00AM
I have two different printers, a TOM clone (Come3D C120) and a Replicator 1 Dual clone (Wanhao Duplicator 4).
For both printers I use RepG 40 for Sailfish with Skeinforge, and using the latest Sailfish firmware.
For these printers, I use the default slicing profiles, with a few overrides described on the Sailfish setup page: [www.makerbot.com]

See the attached images of the owls: the yellow one is printed with the Replicator 1 Dual clone, the blue smaller one with the TOM clone. But quite interestingly, both show the same effect on the top layer on the head: there are quite a lot of holes. Even the 20mm hollow box calibration piece shows this artifact.

Printing settings:
- Yellow and Blue ABS
- HBP for the TOM 100C, for the R1 Dual 90C
- Nozzle temp around 230C
- 0.2 mm layer height
- Accelerated speed (80mm/sec feedrate, 150mm/sec travel)
- 5-10% inflill
- Number of shells: 2
- Deprime provided by Sailfish firmware, switched off in SF

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 09:00AM by bbence.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_5466.JPG (175 KB)
open | download - DSC_5467.JPG (230.5 KB)
open | download - DSC_5468.JPG (214.9 KB)
Re: Different printers - same issue? What SF setting to change?
September 02, 2013 10:20AM
Are your parts empty? (they seems to be). Difficult to say… what happens at the "holes" moments, is there enought plastic extruded?

François
September 03, 2013 01:31AM
The model itself is not hollow, it's solid. Only I have specified a quite low infill, 5% for the bigger and 10% if I remember well for the smaller print. Unfortunately I have not observed what actually happens during these moments, I have only seen the end result, where these artifacts seem to be quite similar. This fact gives the indication that maybe it's really slicing related.
What I will try is that I will try printing these models with slower speeds, maybe 80mm/sec is too fast for correct filling on the top layer...
September 03, 2013 04:47AM
> What I will try is that I will try printing these models with slower speeds, maybe 80mm/sec is too fast for correct filling on the top layer...

yes, 80mm/s is very quick. Perhaps a ventilator too… are there holes in infill too? (I suppose you should say it…)

François
September 03, 2013 06:40AM
You might need to increase the number of solid layers on the Fill tab.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 04, 2013 08:11AM
Thanks! Actually I did just that, and also decreased the speed and increased the infill to 10%. Now the top layer (actually just a plateau on the owls head) looks much beter but there are still some holes noticable.
I tried playing around with Slic3r, and noticed an option that would increase the solid layer count where the slicer detects a sloping that could benefit from more solid layers. I don't suppose there is such option in SF, is there?
I also see an option in Slic3r to have a different speed for solid infills and top solid infills. Anything like that in SF? I think my prints could benefit from such options.
September 06, 2013 03:03PM
No it doesn't have either. It inserts solid layers when the slope exposes the infill by default. I think the Surrounding Angle option on the Fill tab influences that. I set it to the minimum, which is 30.

You will get better quality prints of you set the infill speed the same as the perimeter.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 19, 2013 11:15AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You will get better quality prints of you set the
> infill speed the same as the perimeter.

Bad news for me, what is the resason why? I usually set perimeter slower than infill (from 0.5 to 0.8 more or less) to print a little quicker…

François
October 06, 2013 02:04PM
You can increase the number of perimeters and also turn on infill in direction of bridges. (Will give You some surprises though)

Manufacturer of low tolerance Filaments PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, PA, PVA,
[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login