Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting the Platform Size

Posted by nevertoolate 
Setting the Platform Size
September 18, 2013 08:09PM
I am trying to use skeinforge to generate gcode for a Solidoodle but I cannot find where I set the size of my build platform. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Re: Setting the Platform Size
September 19, 2013 12:03AM
You don't really set the size of the print bed in SF, but you do specify the center location (in the Multiply plugin)

I have mine set to 100,100 for my standard 200x200 bed. I don't recall entering any other dimensional paremeters, although it's been a while since I used skeinforge with any regularity.
September 19, 2013 11:10AM
Platform size can be set in the firmware, my parameters for Marlin (20x20 cm bed):

// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 100
#define X_MIN_POS -100
#define Y_MAX_POS 100
#define Y_MIN_POS -100
#define Z_MAX_POS 90
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

And for Teacup (not quite sure):

#define	X_MIN  -100.0
#define	X_MAX 100.0
#define	Y_MIN -100.0
#define	Y_MAX 100.0
#define	Z_MIN 0.0
#define	Z_MAX 90.0

François
September 25, 2013 08:07PM
OK. Thank you jbernrdis and François Delègue. I checked my firmware settings and entered a value into the Multiply Plugin and now my part is positioned correctly. I am still having problems with Checksum and unknown commands. See my errors bellow:

echo:Unknown command:"N0 ()*78"
echo:Unknown command:"N1 () start.gcode ()*84"
echo:Unknown command:"N3 ()*98"
echo:Unknown command:"N4 ( skeinforge gcode )*61"
echo:Unknown command:"N5 ( 12.03.14 )*112"
Error:No Checksum with line number, Last Line:5
Resend:6
echo:Unknown command:"119"

The first 6 errors numbers N0-N5 are all lines at the beginning of the gcode file that are nothing more than comments. I am not sure why Pronterface is trying to parse comments.

I have no idea why I am getting checksum errors but my printer will not do anything.

Can anyone help?
September 25, 2013 11:13PM
nobody is trying to parse comments, but lines that begin with an N have a sequence number immediately following that, then the actual G code, then an asterisk and a 2 character check sum. This check sum is used to verify that transmission between the computer and the printer was successful. With a direct - and short - connection, you should never see checksum errors. This indicates that the connection between the two is faulty. Either a bad cable, loose connection, or perhaps the communications parameters, like baud rate, etc, are not the same at both ends.

If you are connecting a reasonable short USB cable between your printer and the computer, it should be rock solid.
September 26, 2013 01:05AM
I have two different printers and two different cables. Both machines are running Marlin firmware. I get the same errors on both machines when I use skeinforge generated gcode files. Both machines run without any problems when I use slicer generated gcode files. I like prints done with skeinforge on my third printer (a makerbot) and I would really like to use skeinforge with my other two machines.

Are there any trouble shooting steps I can try? What do you mean "lines that begin with N?" I can open the gcode file in note pad and there are no lines that start with N. I apologize for my ignorance but I would really appreciate it if you could explain in more detail what you are saying. Here is a copy (cut and pasted) of the first few lines from the gcode file.

()
() start.gcode ()
G28 ; home all axes
()
( skeinforge gcode )
( 12.03.14 )
( 13.09.25|23:3 )
()
M103
( extrusion )
M105

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 01:17AM by nevertoolate.
September 26, 2013 01:19AM
That's strange. The comments were all removed from the between the parenthesis when I saved that last post.
September 26, 2013 01:20AM
You won't see the n in your g code files. That is generated by pronterface, along with the checksum, just prior to transmitting it to the printer.

Based on the other thread here, though, I think your problem might be a skeinforge setting, but since I hardly ever use skeinforge anymore, I'm not as familiar with it.
September 26, 2013 01:24AM
Why don't you use skeinforge anymore? I agree that slier is easier to use but I think skeinforge creates support structs that are far supiror to slicer. Skeinforge supports and easy to remove and slicers are not. I also tend to have problems with my fill not touching my shells. Maybe I don't have slicer configured correctly?
September 26, 2013 03:51AM
I think you should try removing *all* comments in your gcode (I don't know if Marlin accepts commented lines, perhaps not). Edit: with Export plugin you can "Delete all comments".

> Skeinforge supports and easy to remove and slicers are not.
> I also tend to have problems with my fill not touching my shells.

Those are depending from slicer configuration, not from slicer itself. But as you I largely prefer Skeinforge…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 03:59AM by François Delègue.

François
September 26, 2013 11:29AM
I agree that skeinforge beats slic3r with respect to support. Frankly I hate the Slic3r support. I wish it allowed external-only support like skeinforge does.

The main reason I eventually switched to slic3r is because it is actively developed whereas skeinforge hasn't been updated in about a year and a half. To many things are changing too fast in this field to have a critical piece of the toolchain be basically unsupported.

It took me a long time to make the switch. I was a skeinforge devotee, and I had subpar results with slic3r. But I had to use it for something that sliced improperly in skeinforge, so I made an effort to get the settings right, and frankly I've been there since. The biggest change for me with slic3r was when I specified the extrusion width as 220% instead of letting it calculate for me. Print quality dramatically improved after that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login