Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skeinforge / STL

Posted by Arthur 
Skeinforge / STL
November 14, 2009 10:32PM
Hello,

Skeinforge is having problems opening my STL file (attached). One of the reprap pages recommended converting STL's to GTS's. Is there an easy way to do this?

This recommedation from the reprap/skeinforge page doesn't work [reprap.org] : Skeinforge imports Stereolithography (.stl) files or GNU Triangulated Surface (.gts) files. The import plugin for STL files is experimental and if it doesn't work, an indirect way to import an STL file is by turning it into a GTS file is by using the Export GNU Triangulated Surface script at: [members.axion.net]

Thanks for any help.

Arthur
Attachments:
open | download - mold_alum_wheel3.STL (203 KB)
Re: Skeinforge / STL
November 14, 2009 10:35PM
I should be more clear:

When I'm in skeinforge and try to open my STL file, nothing much happens except a terminal window opens up for a split second and closes again.

I know skeinforge does work before it is able to create gcode from other practice gts and stl files.
November 15, 2009 07:28AM
yep, had this happen to me on Saturday.
delete your Skeing forge settings in your home directory named .skeinforge.
and also delete your skeinforge installation and reinstall it
November 19, 2009 09:28AM
I don't know if we're both experiencing the same thing but I found that opening and saving the file in a program called "meshview" makes it work in skeinforge. Not sure why but the program unifies or removes duplicate vertices -- I don't know how this "cleanup" works but it worked afterwards.
November 19, 2009 11:59AM
My standard action when a .stl file doesn't work is to import it into AOI, use AOI's optimize and simplify mesh tools to clean it up a bit and then re-export it.
November 21, 2009 07:10AM
it sounds like your profile settings for skeinforge need to be setup again.

another option is to look in your home directory (windows it is documents and settings\user profile\.skeinforge look for profile.cvs and extrude.cvs one of those files has changed, or needs to be copied over.

if you have a mesh file with open vertices (meaning not all triangle are closed it could cause errors in g code, prints going into your table, so clean up the meshfile first, i use meshlab, load and save image over itself.

best of luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login