Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Log file for Latest versions of Skienforge ??

Posted by uniquebot 
Log file for Latest versions of Skienforge ??
August 23, 2010 08:55AM
Hi,

I see there is another version thatr has come out just recently. The version I have works ok but then again I would like to keep updated with the advancements in the program. I would like to read a log/update list of the changes in each version but I dont see any, the last one on Fabmethus is Feb this year !!!

Anyone ??

Cheers,

Paul
Re: Log file for Latest versions of Skienforge ??
August 24, 2010 03:46AM
No replies....im beginning to think this was a either a daft question or a big ask confused smiley

All im saying is that it would be nice to know what changes are made in each release of the software.

Cheers,

Paul
VDX
August 24, 2010 04:26AM
... in the German forum is some more discussion about SF, but commonly it seems to be a seldom used niche-application confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 24, 2010 04:42AM
I too would like to see a change log. All I ever see is an RSS feed that says beta.

I wouldn't call it a seldom used application. I think the majority of people printing use it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 24, 2010 06:01AM
Thanks guys...glad im not on my own here.

I can appreciate that the developer already has his work cut out changing the code and making enhancements but I think this is equally as important for those of us actually using it. Also, out of curiosity what process is used when users want a particular ehancement or to debate how certain functions work in the SF software ?

I agree with you nophead that SF has a big following.......it rocks!

Cheers,

Paul
August 24, 2010 06:18AM
I have yet to find the proper settings to get a good print from the RepRap Host software.
With Skeinforge (and a lot of help from Stoffel15) I am getting good results.
Using the RepRap Host software the X, Y and Z dimensions are perfect but it appears to be printing too much plastic, specifically the infill is overrunning the perimeter making a round object look like a porcupine...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 24, 2010 06:34AM
Yes the crazy thing about the host software is that the extruder steps for a particular length of filament is hard coded into the firmware. Not only does it depend on your pinch wheel diameter, gear ratio and feed stock diameter but also on the desired layer height. If you change plastic or layer height you have to recompile the firmware!

This all stems from the huge design mistake of sending ascii floating point values in SI units to the micro.

If it is extruding too much plastic you need to reduce the E_STEPS_PER_MM value in the firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 07:33AM by nophead.

August 24, 2010 08:49AM
nophead
If you change plastic or layer height you have to recompile the firmware!

I have no idea where the layer height might be set in the firmware.
BUT, the plastic is a variable due to different amounts of swelling when extruded.

Using a specific extruder as long as I use the same plastic my E_STEPS_PER_MM must be fixed.
For my Mendel with Wade extruder this is currently set to 2.02.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 24, 2010 09:14AM
The layer height must be set in the host as that determines where it slices the model. If that value is changed E_STEPS_PER_MM must be changed.

The amount the plastic swells is irrelevant to the E_STEPS_PER_MM value as it gets stretched back to the correct diameter when it is being laid down. I.e. it only swells when extruded into mid air and then the length gets shorter, so that the volume does not actually change.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login