Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Threads per layer

Posted by jmgiacalone 
Threads per layer
September 25, 2010 03:27PM
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, if not perhaps someone could advise me where best to ask.

I have a stepper driven extruder on my repstrap which is producing a reasonable print quality. I am, however, always looking to improve my printing.

My current printing parameters give me virtually blob free prints using extruder reversals at the end of each thread. The trouble is that the more threads there are, the more work the extruder has to do, and mechanically that's not a desirable scenario. The best approach in my mind would be to print each layer with only one thread, which I accept is probably beyond skeinforge's current algorithms.

What I have found with the way I am using skeinforge though, is that my prints include many short threads which I'm sure ought to be amalgamated with other threads. I have attached the gcode I am using for successfully printing the idler block form Wade's geared extruder design. The file can be viewed using skeinview.py and shows short threads on most layers.

Could anyone advise me whether there are any settings I have missed which would reduce the number of threads I have per layer?

Thanks,
jmg

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
Attachments:
open | download - M8_Extruder_Idler_Block_2_export.gcode (205.2 KB)
Re: Threads per layer
September 25, 2010 04:38PM
Sorry but I don't see lots of short threads. Skienview uses a different colour for each thread, so there are about half a dozen on each layer.

If you look at the simple example below you can see that if you have a single hole in the shape you cannot fill it with less than two zigzag threads.

I think skeinforge does a pretty good job of producing close to the minimum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 04:41PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - fill.jpg (18.2 KB)
Re: Threads per layer
September 25, 2010 06:27PM
Hi Nophead,

I do agree skeinforge is pretty impressive. I guess I was being a little too pedantic.

In asking the question I was mainly after finding out whether the output I was getting was acceptable or if I had missed a trick with my skeinforge settings.

Your response has given me confidence that I am not a million miles away with my settings.

Thanks,
jmg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login