Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How To Reduce Support Bond?

Posted by Plecc 
How To Reduce Support Bond?
April 01, 2017 12:08PM
Hi all,

For the last year I have managed to get away without needing any support materials for my models up until now!
I have been working on a new design that will require some internal support so I decided to pump out some basic bridging models and try to get my support material dialled in.
I managed to get 90% of the settings just as I wanted, but no matter what I tweak I cant reduce the bond between the part and the support material. I have seen a few videos online where the host can just peel away the support with very little effort.
Mine are always stuck like crazy, I can make the support itself extremely light and east to remove but the bond layer between support and part are always very heavy.

I'm working with ReplicatorG and Skeinforge on the CTC dual (7.2 firmware I think) and printing with BQ PLA at the moment.
Here are my support settings:-
Support flow rate over operating flow rate (ratio) 0.5
Support gap over perimeter extrusion width (ratio) 1.5
I have also tried both the cross hatch and zigzag style supports with very little improvement.

Is the very top layer of the support considered an interface layer, should I be playing with the settings in the interface section of the raft tab?
Does anyone have any idea how I could reduce this bond?
Re: How To Reduce Support Bond?
April 04, 2017 11:26AM
Hi Plecc,

Is the very top layer of the support considered an interface layer, should I be playing with the settings
in the interface section of the raft tab?

I think yes, but I don't remember the link between support and interface… bad.

You have a very good (as usual…) post of Nophead about support bonding:

http://hydraraptor.blogspot.fr/2012/08/peel-able-support.html

regards,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 11:26AM by François Delègue.

François
April 15, 2017 02:17PM
Hi Francois,

Thank you for you response, sorry this reply was so slow.
That's a very interesting post!
Its a real shame skeinforge requires custom code just to produce viable support material, unfortunately editing code to that level is well beyond me!
I think that post ultimately says that I should be using slic3r instead, lol.
Do you know of any other slicing software I could try out that is capable of producing .x3g files suitable for the CTC replicator?
I'm a big fan of how Cura slices and performs can I Produce .x3g files with any Cura hosts?

Regards,
Dan
April 30, 2017 06:18AM
Hi Plecc,

long time answer too… It seems you don't have to edit gcode, just make an STL including the support part, making it just below (let's say 0.1, 0.2 mm?) the 1st layer to be supported.

And I don't know anything about .x3g files…

Regards,

François

François
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login