Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea for Cool

Posted by epengr 
Idea for Cool
May 05, 2011 02:21PM
I've been playing with cool in an attempt to print some tall narrow cylenders without them overheating and warping.

Slow doesn't really help because the hot tip spends more time in contact with the part. Orbit works, but can dribble (I could probably retract more in Start_Cool.txt to solve this)

I hooked up a fan and mounted it to the a-frame thread rod pointing at the build platform, which I had Cool turn on between layers. This cooled the print head a LOT and I had to add a Temp hold to the End_Cool.txt which adds up to a MAJOR delay.

IDEA: Could there be a cool option to "park" the print head at X0 (or some arbitrary point)?

Then I could turn the fan on without blowing directly on the print head. This is much easier to rig up than ducted fan nozzles on the x-carriage, which is what I assume orbit is intended for?

-David

P.S. Skeinforge takes some effort to get up and running, but it's awesome once you do! Thanks Enrique!
Re: Idea for Cool
May 06, 2011 05:16AM
You can add a code to the beginning of the cool and to the end by adding a gcode file to the alterations folder..
So it can go there wait the time then go back. I never needed that but I think you can make it work.
I think your real problem is your Extruder heater control...
Re: Idea for Cool
May 06, 2011 03:07PM
I did try using the start_cool prefile, but it is only used for orbit mode - for slow mode there is no cool period, it just changes the feedrate to make every layer take at least the min time. If you do use orbit then you can have it move to X0 and wait, but then it will proceed to orbit for (min time)-(layer time) anyways...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login