Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Settings to skirt holes?

Posted by droftarts 
Settings to skirt holes?
June 06, 2011 06:57AM
As I'm currently using a Bowden cable, I'm having some stringing problems across holes when the hot end is moving to a new location. Admittedly it doesn't take too much effort to clean these out, but it is tricky on more complicated parts or small holes, for example the captive nut hole on the Mendel motor pulley. Is there any setting to force Skeinforge to skirt around holes (the 'Skirt' setting does not do this), making them a sort of 'no fly zone'? I know there is the 'Comb' option, but this seems to be a retroactive 'cleaning' operation rather than a proactive 'avoiding' operation. I'm using Skeinforge 41.
Re: Settings to skirt holes?
June 06, 2011 09:05AM
I've found comb avoids all holes unless you have multiple "towers" and then it's pretty hopeless. Strings sometimes form over the holes anyway though, as the filament strings stretch over the hole even though the nozzle never does.

Probably worth trying to increase your retract speed as the simplest solution?
June 08, 2011 06:58AM
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Still trying to finesse my Skeinforge settings with respect to ooze.
June 08, 2011 11:11AM
It's certainly a challenge with bowden cables. I had been using one for a while but never could get the quality anywhere near the standards of the normal extruder. Certain parts would print really well, but once you started to do complicated items the difference became apparent.

Good luck!
June 10, 2011 07:10AM
Actually the stringing is avoided with the retract setting in dimension...
From SF40 on set it to 1mm or so for a start...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login