Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good start and stop scripts

Posted by unicoder 
Good start and stop scripts
July 06, 2011 01:01AM
Hey guys, just getting some decent prints with skeinforge, now I'm looking to make my printer a little more user friendly. There are a few things that I do before and after every print that I would like to be automatic. Currently I just have a home command in both the start and end script.
I'd like to put something in my start script that extrudes a bit in the corner just before the print. The thing is my extruder is just constantly dripping so if I don't do this the printer prints air for the first few seconds. I'd like at least once to see my printer do a really solid bottom layer.
For the end script, a home is not a great idea because if it was a large print the X axis rods could collide with it. I'd rather just home X and move Y to the max (around 170 mm for my prusa mendel).
So my question for you smart guys is, can you help me with the gcode for this? or at least point me at a good gcode reference so I can learn for myself?
If you have a really great start or end script, please share it.
Not sure if this is relevant but I'm using Sprinter firmware on a RAMPS v1.2 board.
Thanks
Re: Good start and stop scripts
July 06, 2011 01:34AM
I just use this

My start code is
G21; metric is good
G90; absolute positioning
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0; zero the extruded length axes

My end code is
G91
G1 F70
G1 E-10 F30000; sucks filament back quickly to stop ooze
G1 Z7 F70; lifts nozzle 7mm from finished print surface
G1 F2300
G1 X-10 Y100 F2300; moves the Extruder towards home by only 10mm and moves print bed out towards me by 100mm for easy job removal
G90
M104 S0; turns off extruder (I don't always use this line if i'm doing continuous prints and I'm around home)

July 06, 2011 03:00AM
Turn on the skirt function for 1 layer or use the outline module (on Thingiverse) if you are using a version of Skeinforge BEFORE the skirt function was implemented.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 06, 2011 03:10PM
yes forgot to mention Skirt I have it set to give me a skirt 5mm out from the print which makes sure my nozzle is extruding before the actual print starts

July 06, 2011 10:33PM
Nelson, I'm afraid to add code that moves the bed toward me 100mm because what if that puts it over the max? Is there a gcode that will tell it to move to an absolute X/Y position?
I'm very excited to try skirt! This was one of my biggest problems.
July 07, 2011 02:41AM
YES, set absolute positioning and use "G1 Y200 F2300 ; Move the table out to remove the object".

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 08, 2011 12:07AM
Thanks for the great tips, I have fantastic start/end scripts now and a short skirt fixes the other problem. Do you really have a 200mm y axis? I swear I followed the instructions perfectly and all my dimensions are smaller than the claimed dimensions. Is it because I made a Prusa rather than a standard Mendel?
July 08, 2011 01:19AM
Maybe your Y opto flag is too long.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 08, 2011 09:47AM
unicoder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the great tips, I have fantastic
> start/end scripts now and a short skirt fixes the
> other problem. Do you really have a 200mm y axis?
> I swear I followed the instructions perfectly and
> all my dimensions are smaller than the claimed
> dimensions. Is it because I made a Prusa rather
> than a standard Mendel?

Same here and i followed the instructions exactly. Mine is about 170 x 170. My Y axis is short because my Y min endstop (mechanical)'s terminals are long and would interfere with the rear upper threaded rod. I think i can print a new endstop that will allow the threaded rod to sit between the two terminals, that would give me about 190mm. My X axis can only go about 175 before the Wade's extruder runs into the X idler. This can be extended by moving the right side over (motor, 2 vertical rods, X idler) but then the machine wouldnt be symmetric. I could also probably cut 1cm off the end of Wade's extruder but that would look ugly. GregFrost mounts his extruder at an angle to get more X travel, see here: [forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login