Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SFACT The New and Improved Skeinforge !!

Posted by ahmetcemturan 
SFACT The New and Improved Skeinforge !!
July 06, 2011 10:54AM
From today on:
Very latest (working or not) version of SFACT:

[github.com]

Features:

Main changes:
DIMENSION:Retraction handled differently.
Now the only variable is the Oozerate. SFACT automatically does retraction based on the duration of the move that it will do in

retracted state.
SPEED and INSET
Bridging:
Bridge settings are calculated automatically so that your extrusion xsection equals the nozzle-orifice x-section..
As it will not change the layer height it will alter the extrusion width to achieve that.
The default bridge feedrate is now referencing the perimeter feedrate.
Also the settings for bridge spacing in INSET is now calculated according to the newly calculated extrusion width of the bridge

extrusion.
You can experiment with values from 1-2 for the spacing that should all give decent results. ı personally prefer closer to 2 and

have set default accordingly.
RAFT:
Raft feed and flowrates are working now.
First layer travel feedrate now controls all travel moves..
EXPORT:
The export archiving commands have moved to the top menu. (>Analyze>Synopsis)
There is also an option for Gen3 users to have small gcode with their Z-commands on a seperate line (for faster Z moves)
If you get memory errors during skein disable skeiniso. (enabled by default)
For being able to open a preview lateron you should enable exporting penultimate gcode.
CARVE:Extra decimals range is now 2-6 with 4 as default. (needed for the finer printing possibilities..)
COOL: You can now specify a minimum feedrate so you dont end up having the printhead move at 2mm/s and ruining your top layer.
SKIN: Is calculating the flow correctly now. But a bug prevents the inner ring from being extruded when the extra perimeters

option in Fill is set to 1. (0 or more than one works without problems..)
Also I found that the option to prefer loops in INSET produces better result hence is set as default.

GENERAL:I also changed most of the broken links that were in the top menu.

*******EDIT: IT IS ACTUALLY IMPROVED NOW********

*****You only need to enter your filament diameter, your desired layer thickness and desired extrusion width and You are ready to print.
Actually you get 4 predefined profiles that you can print with rightaway.
If you want you can change feedrate too, but then you only need to change feedrate... Flowrate is adjusted automatically (set to 1 as default.. I call these 1 defaults scalers...) and may small things more like the ability to turn off heated platform after print and turn off extruder after print moved to chamber...........

Dont suffer anymore, Enjoy It.... ******* END OF EDIT

Well actually not really improved but a lighter version.

I think that most of the complications in SF come from the fact that it evolved through time.
Therefore there are relics from the past all over. Things like fillet, oozebane, hop etc. are hardly used and just make SF look more complicated than it needs to be.

I simplified SF a bit. Made a few changes and also added stuff (plugins from others. The Export enhancements are from Gary Hodgson. Thx)

I also changed the value ranges to usable ones and....................
The default values are actually real default values that will give you good prints with 0.5 nozzle and 2.8mm filament with PLA
There is also a setting for 1.75mm filament and 0.3nozzle

What I did:
Modified Skeinforge to be easier to use.
Craft: Extrusion width is now entered in mm not as a ratio.
Fill: The repeating extrusion width ratio taht was here for the spacing of the fill lines does not need to be changed everytime you change extrusion width. Leave it as 1 now and tweak slight bit if you think it is necessary.

Deleted plugins that are not used anymore.
Made some setting easier to understand /set.
Put in some notes on the pages.
Creates a settings folder .SFACT in the skeinforge.py directory so your other SF is unaffected.

It is only valid for Stepper Extruders.
It is available at:
[github.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 03:41PM by ahmetcemturan.

Manufacturer of low tolerance Filaments PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, PA, PVA,
[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
Re: The New and Improved Skeinforge !!
July 06, 2011 03:07PM
I've only just got the hang of SF41, think I will stay with it for now

July 06, 2011 04:36PM
You can try it. It wont mess up your settings as it stores them seperately...
Actually you need to copy your replace, startup and end.gcode files to the .SFACT directory..

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
July 08, 2011 01:55PM
Wow thats really annoying. 90 reads and only one comment. (except my own)..
People seem to get along well with Skeinforge as it is...

Please people, feedback. Positive OR Negative... doesnt matter. Both appreciated...

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
July 08, 2011 08:25PM
Don't worry ahmet, I think it's a great idea, and I'm sure most others will appreciate your work in time, just don't expect people to change overnight! I've had a rollercoaster ride getting SF41 working well, but am now pretty comfortable with it, with my settings pretty consistent. However, anything that trims away unnecessary complications and increases clarity is welcome. Are you liaising with the developer to roll in your developments?
July 10, 2011 05:47PM
Thanks,
in the IRC the word is already spreading and I started a yahoogroup to keep ppl informed about updates....

Group home page: [groups.yahoo.com]
Group email address: sfact@yahoogroups.com

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
July 10, 2011 07:23PM
I actually didn't see a good reason to try this. As you wrote, it's not really improved but a lighter version. How about fixing the multiply feature so that it does the parts in round-robin sequence instead of reversing the sequence at each layer? SF already has an option to do round-robin sequence within a part but not when using multiply to print multiple parts.
July 11, 2011 02:00AM
brnrd
How about fixing the multiply feature so that it does the parts in round-robin sequence instead of reversing the sequence at each layer?

I vote for this one too!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 11, 2011 05:46AM
I tried it last night with chamber turned on, and it would not complete the rendering of an X carriage.
July 11, 2011 12:54PM
brnrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SF already has an option to do round-robin
> sequence within a part but not when using multiply
> to print multiple parts.

What option is that?
July 11, 2011 02:34PM
It's the next to last parameter in the Fill plug-in: Start from Choice. The options are lower left and nearest. Lower left will start the next layer at the lower left "tower" or "island" in a part, while nearest will start the next layer on the one it just finished.
July 16, 2011 05:19PM
Finally downloaded this, can I import the settings from SF41 into this lighter version and if so how?

July 17, 2011 03:59PM
You should not import your old settings as some settings are used differently...
You can use the defaults for your first print though..
I have created a wiki page for the startup:
[reprap.org]

For updates you can subscribe to my yahoogroups or register at my website...

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
July 17, 2011 07:12PM
Cool thanks will have a play when my new y axis belt turns up that snapped this morning

July 18, 2011 11:22PM
jcabrer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried it last night with chamber turned on, and
> it would not complete the rendering of an X
> carriage.

I just tried converting a stl and it too failed although I had chamber off, it gets part way then throws up some errors

July 19, 2011 08:07PM
Thought I would give it another go today and it still failed so back to my trusty SF41 until it get sorted

July 20, 2011 11:07AM
Hi NelsonRap,
most people have no problems with it...
You could send me the stl file so ı cancheck what causes the problems...
July 20, 2011 10:40PM
Just re downloaded this version, made no alterations. The first time I ran it and converted a Prusa Y bracket went fine so thought ok will do a X motor bracket, crashed. So I closed the program restarted it and this time I was able to keep recompiling so I guess it is just a bit flaky sometimes and will have to just try again when it crashes, although at the moment am in the middle of a print run using SF41 so won't be trying any code from this version probably until next week

July 21, 2011 07:11AM
If you want to run SFACT from within pronterface you will need to uncheck all the backup and filenaming options under EXPORT.
So that the generated Gcde file filname has the format stlfilename_export.gcode

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
July 25, 2011 12:32AM
I solved why it keeps crashing.

I had added the export extra stuff from Gary Hodgson, since removing that again it is working everytime

August 08, 2011 02:13AM
Trying to run SFACT in pronterface, disabled all the bits you said to under export (actually they already were) and I get the error:

File "C:\emaker-Printrun\pronterface.py", line 988, in skein_func
    from skeinforge.skeinforge_application.skeinforge_utilities import skeinforge_craft
ImportError: No module named skeinforge.skeinforge_application.skeinforge_utilities

Any suggestions? I have found that yours is the only version of skeinforge that seems to be able to not put a layer that isn't needed (or even there!) in the middle of my print so really want to use it in pronterface.
August 08, 2011 09:36AM
Make sure you put the SFACT folder in the Printrun folder but rename SFACT to "skeinforge"
August 09, 2011 03:05PM
Just found out about, sounds great but as usual with me python = it will not run. I am using a macbook with Python 2.7.1 when I double click it I get:-
File "/Users/mikecook/Desktop/printrundist/skeinforge_application/skeinforge.py", line 220, in from fabmetheus_utilities.fabmetheus_tools import fabmetheus_interpret File "/Users/mikecook/Desktop/printrundist/fabmetheus_utilities/fabmetheus_tools/fabmetheus_interpret.py", line 26, in from fabmetheus_utilities import archive File "/Users/mikecook/Desktop/printrundist/fabmetheus_utilities/archive.py", line 12, in import traceback ImportError: Bad magic number in /Users/mikecook/Desktop/printrundist/traceback.pyc

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
August 09, 2011 06:00PM
Don't know but you could try deleting the .pyc files. Python will recreate them by compiling the .py source files. The .pyc files are just the compiled versions. When you run a .py file it checks if there is a .pyc with the same name and a later date. If so it runs that, otherwise it creates it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 10, 2011 05:02AM
Thanks that seems to have done the trick. smiling smiley
August 28, 2011 05:41PM
Hi, is it possible to have the extruder moving up on Z after finish of print ? In few words, where do I put the end.gmc ???
August 29, 2011 10:35AM
Idea for further improvement: Prevent threads from starting where there is an overhang (wherever possible)
August 29, 2011 04:13PM
Andrew that would really be great.. But not possible for me to add something like thiis..(I think)

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
September 02, 2011 05:04PM
I try SFACT and problem:
Z =0.155
"G1 X93.557 Y106.044 E438.3495
G1 F900.0
G1 E437.3495
G1 F1200.0
G1 X92.75 Y105.778 Z0.465 F1800.0"
extruder move XY - Ok, but no move on Z. For Z need F50 or max F100.
Where tune feedrate for Z?
September 03, 2011 04:19PM
Denis, you have two options:
better option: newer Firmware like Marlin or Sprinter have a maximum feedrate that you can set in the configuration. Set it to the value your Z can safely handle..
second option: SFACT has a plugin called LIMIT. Enable it and set there your maximum feedrate..

[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login