Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

spiral movement for Z direction gain?

Posted by TheCase 
spiral movement for Z direction gain?
August 14, 2011 12:22AM
I'm working with a colleague on a model rocket body...

I'd like to avoid a vertical "seam" - where the Z makes its upward movement for each layer. I'd like to avoid this by either laying down the extrusion in a spiral, or (not as desirable) have it make the Z moves at different XY co-ords instead of the same place every time.

Is this possible?
Re: spiral movement for Z direction gain?
August 14, 2011 12:36AM
Yes. Spiral printing has been done, however you'll have to write custom GCODE (or a program to generate custom GCODE). This only really works with single wall, unfilled object - pretty much exactly what you want for the body of a model rocket.

See this python script on github as a starting point.

The alternative is also doable. Take a look at the Jitter module.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 12:37AM by madscifi.
August 14, 2011 10:32PM
I think this problem could be mitigated by reducing the gap between the beginning and end of each perimeter layer. Mine is often 1mm or more. Any ideas on how to close this gap? Does it have to do with extruder retraction settings? It seems like I need more perimeter overlap but i dont see any settings for that in skeinforge.
August 15, 2011 04:10AM
MrKim created a seamless crown pulley using a helical path. The gcode was created in common Lisp apparently, and the code was parametric. More here: [www.thingiverse.com]
Hmm, I might have a go at writing an Excel document to do this.
August 15, 2011 07:35AM
The first and last layers would be tricky! It would need to start at zero thickness and slowly increase until it was one filament high at the end of the first turn, so the flow rate would need be proportional to Z for the first layer, then be constant until the last turn, when Z would stop increasing and the flow rate would ramp down to zero to leave a flat top.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login