Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer of print doesn't have enough plastic

Posted by danieljabailey 
First layer of print doesn't have enough plastic
August 23, 2011 06:28AM
In attempting to fine tune my skeinforge settings I have ended up somehow making the first layer of every print not have enough plastic, the extruder is turning and some plastic is coming out but it is only enough to make small blobs appear every so often, as if it isn't purged properly and is just dribbling out, I have enabled skirt so the extruder is purged well before it begins the print.

I can't remember exactly what settings I changed, I tried to change them all back to get the first layer working again but it hasn't worked, how should I go about fixing this problem?

Thanks, Dan.
Re: First layer of print doesn't have enough plastic
August 23, 2011 09:58AM
Try poking at the Object First Layer settings in Raft.. I usually set the feed ones to 0.4 and the flow ones to 0.55. You may need to mess with that a bit, depending on your other settings.

You can also look at how high your nozzle is above the platform. Could be that it's higher than it should be.
August 23, 2011 10:15AM
Okay, thanks, I'll tweak these settings and see how it goes, the bed is warming up right now as I type this message (It takes about 30 minutes to get up to heat, it's boring waiting for it).

P.S. I checked the nozzle height with feeler gauges on each corner and in the middle of the bed, it's a tiny fraction less than a tenth of a millimetre away from the bed.
August 23, 2011 10:29AM
I have the exact same problem, So I'll try that too and report.
August 23, 2011 01:57PM
Perfect! Thanks, this is just what I needed to do, the first layer is now flawless.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login