Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First prints - need some Skeinforge suggestions

Posted by mc_n_g 
First prints - need some Skeinforge suggestions
August 25, 2011 12:07AM
Sorry here is a long one, I just got my Prusa up and running 2 days ago. RAMPS 1.3 kit, Wades Geared Extruder, Skeinforge, Repsnapper, Acrylic plate with blue tape (no heat yet), PC power supply, Ultimachine PLA 3mm, home machined 0.46mm (0.018") brass nozzle and barrel.

Printed a few test cubes and my dimensions are within 0.2 to 0.45mm on average. Much of the variation is from a few odd layers which are coming out heavy and squashed. Just some tweaking there.
Printing with some PLA samples first to learn some of the settings. These are my first 6 or 7 parts. The White PLA has some green mixed in from a change in material. The yellow cubes ran OK but one has a bad heatsink (the small one) where the plastic got sucked in while cooling. The yellow nut has some decent threads on the inside and everything is bonded well. The white 20mm cube is actually flat but the light green PLA smear makes it look bad. The dimensions for the 20mm cube are 20.15 x 20.28mm.

I have a decent temp setting for some yellow, white and green PLA. Right around 195C but the green is a real pain and needs to be higher.

What sort of settings should I be looking at for vertical stacking. I tried a Prusa Calibration stl from GitHub to see how it would run.
Results for the White PLA Prusa Calibration STL:
-Bottom layer was a little heavy (my fault for slower speeds on bottom layer settings)
-Fill needs adjusted but that is on my end.
-Vertical alignment is OK just a few thick layers here and there.
-Everything is bonded well
-The two nuts enter the recessed pockets without any problems. Almost no play and have good shape.
-The two teeth on the right side have good form except for an occasional blob. Easily workable.
-Vertical wall on the side is a FAILURE...Should I be using Cool settings or a much lower temp? Current temp is 195C

Skeinforge: Fill is set at 0.3; Layer thickness is 0.34mm with a 1.8 w/t ratio; my Speed and Flow rates will not match yours but can be raised or lowered accordingly; Raft is set to default. Most others are default settings.
Bottom, Chamber, Cool, Fillet, Hop, Inset, Jitter, Lash, Limit, Oozebane, Splodge, Stretch and Tower are all off

Looking for some suggestions for the that small vertical wall on top of the part. Everything else I think I can tweak out with some of the base settings...I hope.

Thanks
Jon
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0271_a.JPG (424.7 KB)
open | download - DSC_0272_a.JPG (250.1 KB)
open | download - DSC_0273_a.JPG (265.7 KB)
open | download - prusa_sae_calibration.stl (64.1 KB)
Re: First prints - need some Skeinforge suggestions
August 25, 2011 01:12AM
You need to to give PLA more time to cool down before laying down the next layer when printing small parts. You can do this by printing multiple small parts at the same time or using the cool feature. I've found that the slow down option works best with a minimum time of around 30 seconds per layer. But with PLA, you might need a fan to provide additional cooling when printing that narrow wall in the Prusa calibration pieces. ABS is better in this regards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login