Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting OBJ. to G-Code

Posted by Gattling 
Converting OBJ. to G-Code
August 25, 2011 08:43PM
I'm having difficulty converting my OBJ. files to G-Code using Skeinforge.

What happens is that when I send it through the program the following G-Code is extremely small, around 10 layers tall. I have yet to find some kind of option where you can scale up the file and it's bothering me because I'm intending to use my printer mostly for objects that I've made using Sculptris.

Do I need to use a different program? Is there a setting that I missed that I can use to 'scale up' my file?
Re: Converting OBJ. to G-Code
August 26, 2011 02:15AM
You need to create your STL file in millimeters.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 26, 2011 02:00PM
But it isn't in STL, it's in OBJ.
If you mean convert it into STL it sounds like a viable option, but how would I do something like that, and how would I be able to say that it's 'blank' mm tall?
August 26, 2011 02:22PM
All the gcode converters I am aware of only convert STL file format to gcode.
STL format is dimensionless but Skeinforge assumes it is in millimeters.
Your CAD/3d Design program should be able to export to STL format.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 26, 2011 03:10PM
Skeinforge will slice OBJ files. OBJ files are unitless, the same as STL. You need to configure Sculptristo work in millimetres. Presumably it is defaulting to inches. If you cannot make it use millimetres then you will need to scale up your objects by 25.4 before exporting them.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 26, 2011 06:38PM
Alright, though from what I can tell it doesn't have any unit of measurement at all. It just messes around with wireframes, mostly for animation, creature creation, and such. Though I will see if I can try and enlarge the object manualy, shouldn't be too hard... hopefully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login