Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using a CNC Machine.

Posted by kb18951452 
Re: Using a CNC Machine.
January 20, 2010 12:36PM
Yes It is a huge pain on the EMC2 8.04 Ubunto setup I have only that installed so I use a memory stick for file transfer

If I had known I would not have bought a wifi dongle for this Machine.

My Linux expertise is virtually zero now its changed such a lot since the mid eighties

Question did WIFI or networking work on erlier versions.. ???

Is there a proposed WIFI or networking fix..?

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 20, 2010 01:06PM
My wireless and wired network runs perfectly on that Ubuntu version :-)

I just use that version to run EMC2, so to print on my EMC2RepStrap. I prefer to use the latest version for sure on my daily PC systems :-)
emt
January 21, 2010 04:29AM
My network runs fine as well, straight out of the box.

There is one gotcha in 8.04.

You cannot use the Arduino IDE as there is a integer bug in the AVRgcc version included on that distribution.

I am told you can upgrade the gcc version but the steps described to do it are beyond me.

I am also nearly there with EMC.

Regards

Ian
emt
January 21, 2010 11:41AM
My network runs fine as well, straight out of the box.

There is one gotcha in 8.04.

You cannot use the Arduino IDE as there is a integer bug in the AVRgcc version included on that distribution.

I am told you can upgrade the gcc version but the steps described to do it are beyond me.

I am also nearly there with EMC.

Regards

Ian
January 22, 2010 04:22PM
Interesting both James Villeneuve and my self didn't get it working.

That leaves these questions I think.

I did not have my new WIFI USB dongle when I install EMC2 Ubuntu 8.04 version.

My old WIFI USB dongle was not detected, it was connected at the time of install.

1/. Did you install Emc2 Ubuntu 8.04 release or the regular Ubuntu 8.04?

2/. Is your network WIFI?

3/. Is your WIFI or Network interface on board and not a USB dongle.

4/. For James and myself what would be the best way to fix this problem.

Reinstall the full version of Ubuntu 8.04

Add files that might be missing from the cut down EMCC2 version.

Or some thing else?

If I can solve this networking problem I have another PC waiting to be set up for Reprap Mendel use with "Which OS" I'm not sure yet...

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
emt
January 24, 2010 11:30AM
Hi

I used the EMC2 Ubuntu 8.04 release.

My network is an on board cable.

Very old PC. The only real trouble I had was getting the screen resolution set.

I just blindly followed some instructions on the net to fix that.

Every thing else worked fine. It picked up my hub and connected to my windows network and printers without any intervention by me. I was very impressed, first real attempt at Linux.

I also found EMC very straight forward to setup.

Regards

Ian
January 27, 2010 12:38AM
I just got a EMC2 machine running.
It does have some networking support but not much.
From what I have found, it seems a lot of the cheap network cards interfere with the real time kernel. And that would completely screw using it for a cnc controller.
I tried like 3 or 4 cards before i found one that worked. Its an nice older 3COM 3c509
[shop.ebay.com]
you can get them for like 5-10.
I would suggest not messing with the network drivers that are installed, as they probably took them out for a reason.
Hope this helps.
-Brandon
PJ
February 10, 2011 01:13PM
hello all,

I'm working with Smithy Granite 1324 CNC machine. My job is to convert this bad boy into fully computer controlled machine. Is it possible to use the reprap's software and controller on this machine. I'm not looking at using the plastic extruder; all i'm looking at is being able to control my 3 axis stepper motor.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you & Rgds.

PJ
February 10, 2011 03:34PM
Yes, it's possible to use reprap's firmware w/ an arduino mega or such for g-code control of arbitrary 3-axis machines. You'd need stepper drivers (or servos, I suppose) that take a step/direction signal, which almost all of them do. You'd need steppers and stepper drivers sized for the load.

Not sure it's desirable though. You might be better off using EMC2, which is also a free and opensource project. It's got much more sophisticated acceleration and path planning than our stuff. We don't really need it, but a CNC mill does benefit from it. You might ask over at CNCzone.com, where they commonly discuss exactly the sort of project that you're talking about.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
emt
February 11, 2011 07:24AM
Hi

I can almost guarantee you will come to grief trying to use the firmware. It will certainly cause problems with acceleration and deceleration as it works in a non standard way and you will need that on a heavy machine. It also has some obscure bugs in it which cause some problems with programmes hanging. EMC is MUCH better for machines and has all the needed manual controls for jogging etc. I actually use it on my mendel.

Regards

Ian
January 03, 2012 08:51PM
What Ian said thumbs up.

And, also, I'm just about to switch back to EMC after having spent about a week with a 'duino-based Teacup firmware controller and I think the biggest issue with using a reprap firmware for more traditional CNC operations (I tried to use it for laser cutting) is that the reprap firmware-based controllers seem to be mostly (only?) concerned about positioning your actuator (as in extruder or could have been a mill or a laser, if it worked) in a particular point above your work and not so much about how that actuator got there. A traditional CNC controller is all about getting there using proper trajectory

I'm getting pretty dismal results but it's also a yet unproven router, so I'm not too certain which part of the issues is the software and which is mechanics. Since I'm planning to use the same router for 3D later, I'll get back to Teacup and see how it works for the intended operations.

Oh, and also, most of Gcode I've accumulated so far uses arcs (G2, G3) and Teacup does not support them, so that's another issue with a Reprap firmware - it does not need arcs because it's free to travel in straight lines because its movements are never constricted by the shape of the workpiece - it's always below the extruder.

/\_/\      ARDUINO
((@v@))     CNC
()~|~()     ROBOTICS
 VV-VV      my bits of questionable wisdom...
January 04, 2012 04:41AM
ElectroNick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Oh, and also, most of Gcode I've accumulated so
> far uses arcs (G2, G3) and Teacup does not support
> them, so that's another issue with a Reprap
> firmware - it does not need arcs because it's free
> to travel in straight lines because its movements
> are never constricted by the shape of the
> workpiece - it's always below the extruder.

If you want to try something else, Marlin firmware does support arcs
January 04, 2012 12:11PM
DeuxVis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ElectroNick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Oh, and also, most of Gcode I've accumulated so
> > far uses arcs (G2, G3) and Teacup does not
> support
> > them, so that's another issue with a Reprap
> > firmware - it does not need arcs because it's
> free
> > to travel in straight lines because its
> movements
> > are never constricted by the shape of the
> > workpiece - it's always below the extruder.
>
>
> If you want to try something else, Marlin firmware
> does support arcs

Thank you for the reference! I will try Marlin when I'm ready for 3D. The only problem I see is that right now Teacup fits on Arduino Nano, which is, due to its small size, an integral part of my build. Marlin seems to run on larger boards only. If I discover any other Nano limitations and have to change controller anyway, I would definitely prefer firmware that supports arcs and that's where Mariln will be handy indeed. Thanks!

/\_/\      ARDUINO
((@v@))     CNC
()~|~()     ROBOTICS
 VV-VV      my bits of questionable wisdom...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login