Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to increase the size of reprap in the software

Posted by ftpaccess 
How to increase the size of reprap in the software
May 14, 2010 01:01PM
I am trying to increase the printing area of my reprap machine by increasing the bar size on which the exruders move. However just by doing that i know that i cannot achieve that i would also need to make the changes on the software, mainly i think the only thing i would need to change is the x,y,z axis. Would anyone have any insight on this?
Re: How to increase the size of reprap in the software
June 26, 2010 10:42PM
Let me see if I understand you correctly:

You're increasing the printing area of your reprap by putting longer (and possibly thicker) bars in it. It is otherwise the same. In particular, the size of the gears mounted on your stepper motors shafts is the same.

If that is correct, you don't need to modify the firmware at all. There is no software enforced maximum bed size. OK, well there is a integer overflow caused by a position (on any axis) greater than (I think) about 2 meters. But I'm sure your reprap is smaller than that...

If you've changed the gear ratio (I.E. the number of steps the stepper motor must step to move 1 centimeter) then you'll need to correct the steps/mm and steps/inch settings which are IIRC in pins.h

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
Re: How to increase the size of reprap in the software
June 28, 2010 12:56PM
ftpaccess: Please add information on your large Reprap machine design to the wiki. Is it a Mendel Apollo like design, or something different?

When you try to print something larger than the default build volume of the reprap host software, what happens? What error messages are you seeing, and what gets printed? If you can provide more detailed information, we are more likely to be able to help.

You can adjust the various WorkingX (mm) properties (and WorkingY, etc.) in the reprap host software, using the Preferences screen. Without knowing more about your issue, I am not sure if this is what you are asking about.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login