Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing textures

Posted by steampunk 
Printing textures
February 06, 2015 04:57PM
So I just made an account today, tried to find an idea I had on here but didn't so if its already a thing or if this would be better discussed some where else then my bad. I thought it would be cool make it apart of any slicer to include a texture ability. I haven't really thought of a bunch of textures but one in particular that I thought of was fiber like texture. So say I printed a small scene with grass, after the top infil the printer could make a dot and taper off the extrusion or reverse it as it pulls up x amount of mm to make a blade of grass and do this all over the top with a settable amount of spacing. Same could be done for fur or spikes or teeth. It would be an extra layer that could be added and could be controlled with a degreed threshold amount similar to the support material say 15% from horizontal. The texture would be any combination of extrusion distances, spacing/pattern and z axis heights. I don't know if any one here can make this kind of mod for a slicer program but I think it would add a whole lot of dimension to 3D printing. Perhaps you could have a predetermined texture that can me scaled and then wrapped by clicking on a fairly horizontal surface.
Re: Printing textures
February 06, 2015 05:05PM
Neat idea! I would like to apply a couple layers of the honeycomb fill above the 'final' layers to add texture to some prints, but I haven't figured out how.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login