Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New GCode analyzer/visualizer

Posted by hudbrog 
New GCode analyzer/visualizer
November 21, 2012 07:13AM
Hey everbody,

Wanted to show you a little project I've been working on for some time - [hobbydev.ru]
As you might've guessed by the topic name - it's a GCode visualizer. And I guess at that point most of you are asking why the hell anyone would write another one.

Well, mainly because I haven't found a single one that would comply with my humble list of requirements. I mean, most of them allows me to.. well.. visualize GCode file and nothing else. But when I open gcode - it's not for my estetical pleasure, it's to check that there are no problems and to see effects that recent slicer configuration changes done or for any other of several reasons. And the ones I've seen so far doesn't allow me to do that stuff effectively.
So I decided to write one myself.

Feature list:
1) Visualize GCode in 2D, layer by layer
1.1) Show retracts and restarts
1.2) Show print/move/retract speeds
1.3) Display only part of layer/animate squence of layer printing
2) Analyze GCode
2.1) Print time, amount of plastic used, layer height, etc. for whole file and for single layer
2.2) Reference visualized part to GCode file (i.e. select a certain part of 2d visalization, switch to GCode view - it will highlight list of lines responsible for visualized piece)
3) Multiplatform, available online (but works offline too), works locally (doesn't upload you gcode anywhere or download anything but application itself)
4) 3D visualization (I don't know what for, it's dull and useless.. need to rewrite it to be like in repetier host)
5) And yeah, it's slow, memory hungry and only supports modern browsers like chrome and ff of latests versions (maybe safari 6 and ie10, haven't checked)

And once again - it's available at [hobbydev.ru]

Here's a screenshot:

Attachments:
open | download - gc1.jpg (124 KB)
open | download - gc4.jpg (70.7 KB)
open | download - gc3.jpg (135.6 KB)
Re: New GCode analyzer/visualizer
November 21, 2012 09:48AM
Looks nice, will test it as soon I am on a decently recent browser.

As this is all javascript (client side), could we get a downloadable version to use when off the grid ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 21, 2012 10:10AM
Sure, sources are available at [github.com]
But for it to work locally chrome will need to be launched with comand line argument "--allow-file-access-from-files" (that option is unsafe and should never be turned on when browsing internet).
November 29, 2016 05:35PM
a couple of years passed after the last post... :-)
I'm using this gcode visualiser, it's simple and cool and allways available.

only change is the address.
The address is: http://gcode.ws/

thank you hudbrog
November 29, 2016 05:44PM
This program is great for smaller gcode files, but in my experience, if the gcode file exceeds about 23 MB, it will choke.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login