Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux (Ubuntu) Lucid Lynx

Posted by erlyrisa 
Linux (Ubuntu) Lucid Lynx
January 03, 2013 07:19AM
Hi: Just bought a 3dStuffmaker Prusa

Works fine under windows, haven't tried mac yet but will.

What I really want is it working on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04)

I followed most of the directions except adding myself to the dial out group - haven't the foggiest on how todo this.

any help would be appreciated on how to add my user to the dial out group...

So far lsusb returns exactly right
dmesg shows up the board plugged in to /dev/ttyUSB0

but trying to connect with pronsole.py comes to no avail. - It just don't connect.

Thanking you in advance.
Re: Linux (Ubuntu) Lucid Lynx
January 03, 2013 11:57AM
The command you want is usermod. As a sudoer, execute:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourusername

Here's a quick reference on adding users and groups: [www.cyberciti.biz]

Once you do that, Pronterface should connect (though most Ubuntu installations don't like nonstandard baud rates, so make sure you set 115200 baud in the firmware and in pronterface).

EDIT: turns out if you put less-than and greater-than signs around a word it disappears. Make sure you have your username after the word "dialout". Sorry about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 12:02PM by TopherMan.
January 03, 2013 05:45PM
You need to use &lt; and &gt; to get < and > otherwise it is interpreted as HTML tag
January 03, 2013 08:01PM
Why would you need dialout? I am a linux user and have never had to do anything of the sort to use RepRap software. So far I have used Skeinforge, SLic3r, Kisslicer, Repsnapper, Pronterface, Repetier and none of them needed anything like Dialout. You may have a few dependencies like Python but that is it.

Also if you need to add yourself to a group for some strange reason you can use the GUI tool for setting user groups.

Also I have run them on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, Linux mint 12, Linux mint 12 XFCE

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 03, 2013 08:40PM
Thanks bobc.

Sublime, according to [wiki.ubuntu.com] Ubuntu should automatically add the first admin account created to dialout (at least, since 10.04), but if (like me) you've messed around with your accounts at all dialout privileges may have been changed. Also, I'm using 12.04 and I can't find a GUI group tool. I can change if an account is an admin or not, but I can't find anything with more control. What program do you use?
January 04, 2013 06:50AM
"dialout" is the user group with privileges to connect to serial devices in general, not just dialing modems. Many distributions add generic users to this group per default.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 04, 2013 07:10PM
January 06, 2013 01:48AM
Thanks guys....
Turns out I was always a part of the dialout group ---> found the group and users gui interface.

I have a feeling its the 250000 baud rate
Problem is I didn't do the frimware on this thing I got it from 3dStuffmaker,

I just bought an arduino UNO to stuff around with
The arduino works on 12.04, but not on 10 !!!!!! -the ide doesn't find /dev/ttyACM0 - but it does find /dev/ttyUSB0 if I plug the 3dStuffmaker printer in - but I'm not going to hack that (and I don't have the frimware yet anyway -I'd rather start on me own clean UNO first (if you can even use Marlin or sprinter on the UNO))

I'll try it on 12.04 soon and get back to you's

Thanks Heaps, nice to see another great forum I can hang out at.

PS: Reason for wanting it to work so bad on Lucid Lynx (10.04) - the standard linuxCNC.org distro is still only on that one...I may just give it the boot and upgrade to 12.04 and try installing linuxCNC in that.

PPS: its been a week now - finally understanding the rpinter and its mechanics - starting to print OKish parts
January 06, 2013 08:39AM

the ide doesn't find /dev/ttyACM0 - but it does find /dev/ttyUSB0 if I plug the 3dStuffmaker printer in - but I'm not going to hack that

As long as you can connect, there's no need to hack that. The actual name of the device doesn't matter.

I may just give it the boot and upgrade to 12.04 and try installing linuxCNC in that.

My bet is, this won't work. If it would work, the LinuxCNC guys would have announced it already. That's the drawback of running a custom Linux kernel instead of a controller with realtime capabilities.

January 06, 2013 03:37PM
What traumflug says is correct. To pronterface, your device is named /dev/ttyACMx, but to the arduino IDE it's named /dev/ttyusbx. I don't know why it does this, but it works anyway.
January 06, 2013 06:23PM
For me it is USB for devices that have a FTDI chip (old arduinos and things like Gen6 (most likely the stuffmaker board too)) and any device that uses the new atmega as the USB chip shows up as ACM.
FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 07, 2013 08:31AM
On Linux, a device name depends on the kernel driver used. For some devices the acm driver is used, for others the usb. There are differences, but they're pretty much invisible for mere users. And the appended number can change, depending on how many other devices are plugged in.

On Windows and Mac OS X the naming scheme is yet again different. Windows uses the same names as for true serial devices, Mac OS X uses names with the device serial number in it. Mac's approach is the best, IMHO, it mostly guarantees a consistent device number of a device' lifetime.

January 13, 2013 09:38PM
Yeah I may have confused the situation....

/dev/USB0 is my gen6 board - Pronterface just doesn't connect - no option for 250000buad!, but arduino Ide does see it, but nothing happens when I send a command through serial monitor
/dev/ACM0 is my arduino Uno - Arduino Ide doesn't see it - but on 12.10/04 it does.

OS Ubuntu 12
/dev/USB0 is my Gen6 board - Pronterface sees it -> the option for 250000 buad is availiable and therfore connects just fine, PS I didn't have to do a thing for settings or anything, just plugged the thing in and it worked.
/dev/ACM0 is my Arduino UNO - Works just fine with the ide, any buad is selectable.
/dev/USB0 is my gen6 board - Arduino IDE sees it, but I can't seem to send commands - I think its because the buad rate the serial monitor can choose is only upto 1125000 - same problem as on 10.04, whats weird is that on 10.04 the arduino ide doesn't see /dev/ACM0

I hope this is comprehensive enough.

--I think the issue are:
that Arduino ide doesn't support 250000 buad
that ubuntu 10 doesn't seem to support 250000 buad rate
that something fishy is going on with Arduino Ide not knowing that /dev/ACM0 is an aurduino device (and therfore only shows /dev/USB0 from the gen6 board) when its running on Ubuntu 10.04, tis fine on Ubuntu 12.

I don't know: I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to redo the firmware on the gen6board via Ubuntu 12, and tell it to Use 1152000 buad rate so that i works with Ubuntu 10
Why the arduino Ide doesn't see /dev/ACM0 on ubuntu 10, I have no idea.

Hope this may enlighten someone else that is having trouble.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login