Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PhotoshopCC

Posted by Adventure 
PhotoshopCC
January 20, 2014 07:13AM
Has anyone created a driver for the new release of PhotoshopCC..

I have started.

I want to make it compatible with MARLIN firmware.

I have been able to create the driver and copy it into the driver folder and have it show up as an option.

This morning I am going to get the driver to talk to MARLIN firmware.

Once you download PhotoshopCC 30 day trial it will allow you to download the three updated drivers. If you look at these drivers you can see how they are used to connect and give Photoshop your 3D printer options. This reminds me of Replicator-G with the machine.xml file. Here you can tell it # of heads, HBP, size, What plastic you use and what temp. Adobe has made it very easy to add your 3D printer. There is also a manual that explains everything in the driver file.

I will post my results here after I get it to communicate and get a successful print.

Anyone else working on this?

I am running the latest MARLIN firmware and MEGATRONICS V2 hardware. I currently use Slic3r and Repetier-Host for my 3D printers.

I will post more detail soon.

Here is the directory where the driver needs to be. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Presets\3D Printers OR C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC\Presets\3D Printers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 08:02AM by Adventure.

Jeff Christiana
Re: PhotoshopCC
January 21, 2014 11:33AM
Jeff, this is great to hear!
Since the announcement from Adobe I've been researching how best to work with Photoshop and a desktop 3d printer. Our lab currently has a high end 3d printer but no desktop 3d printer. I'd like to provide students with a desktop so that they get a more hands on experience and I'm considering seriously the RepRap. While we are waiting for drivers to be created for Adobe photoshop- how would an Adobe Photoshop file translate to a RepRap print? I've been using Photoshop for a decade but have never used a RepRap.

Thank you -
January 21, 2014 12:18PM
I am working one on one with the company right now to figure out what the issues are with PhotoshopCC communicating with my printers. They say it should be very easy. I will post what I know here. I am also going to publish my driver with the PhotoshopCC so others will be able to modify and make them work with there printers.

They have told me that there is no way to inject gcode into the generation. So that means that if you have a start and a stop .gcode file llike most people do, it will have to be done manually. I will see if there is a way to fix that.

But yes, I have already generated printable gcode. I will post some pictures soon after I get everything figured out. I will also post my profile for use with Marlin firmware.

I am also trying to get autodesk design to work. I have not had any response from them on getting a driver to work. Seems like everyone is only interested in Makerbot.

Jeff

Jeff Christiana
February 16, 2014 05:24PM
Adventure
I am working one on one with the company right now to figure out what the issues are with PhotoshopCC communicating with my printers. They say it should be very easy. I will post what I know here. I am also going to publish my driver with the PhotoshopCC so others will be able to modify and make them work with there printers.

They have told me that there is no way to inject gcode into the generation. So that means that if you have a start and a stop .gcode file llike most people do, it will have to be done manually. I will see if there is a way to fix that.

But yes, I have already generated printable gcode. I will post some pictures soon after I get everything figured out. I will also post my profile for use with Marlin firmware.

I am also trying to get autodesk design to work. I have not had any response from them on getting a driver to work. Seems like everyone is only interested in Makerbot.

Jeff

Has anyone made any progress with this?
February 18, 2014 01:14PM
Just an update with my experiences.

I wanted to use photoshops ability to print the bump maps and textures applied to models. So while I haven't yet figured out how to print directly from photoshop to my printer, its is quite simple to export the .stl, use slic3r, and then print the gcode.

So it is very easy to use photoshops 3D printing tools, I'm just not sure how to fully integrate it yet. Also, not sure how if exporting gcode directly is possible but I need my custom settings applied anyway
February 18, 2014 05:41PM
Yes, right now the way Adobe "AUTODETECTS" the printer is garbage. I have been on and off with their support team. They have been very friendly and they showed me how to turn on "DEBUG" But still I cant get it to connect. I have since moved to Simplify3D. I can connect everyone but Adobe right now. You can however generate gcode. They have no way of inserting a stop and end gcode file. So they have a ways to go.

Here is how to "debug" adobe for the connection if you want to give it a try.

To enable the logging, head to the directory where Photoshop.exe resides (by default it's C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\), and create/copy a file named "save_agf_log.txt" in that directory . It doesn't matter what's in the file (could be a copy of existing file, or an empty file), just its existence, at the same path as Photoshop.exe, will make Photoshop to create the logs. The logs are placed, as Photoshop runs, in your user \Documents\ folder.

Once you have created the "save_agf_log.txt", launch Photoshop, go to 3D > 3D Printing Utilities... menu item, and if the message on top of the dialog says "Scanning for 3D printers", wait for ~2 minutes, then look inside your user's \Documents folder, there should be a new .txt file, named smth like agf_3dprinter_log.txt

If you wait inside the 3D Printing Utilities Dialog for 2-3 minutes and the detection is still unsuccessful, please send me the Profile (.3PP) file that you are using plus the logs that Photoshop had created while attempting to connect.

Jeff

Jeff Christiana
February 20, 2014 09:17AM
Here is the latest update that I received from customer support.

"I think there's a problem in opening Windows COM-ports when they are larger than 10 (COM11, etc).

It would be possible for me to send you the custom printer driver binary that contains the fix (once I have it, sometime at the end of the week) so you could test it? We had never encountered reprap that installed itself on a COM port larger than COM7, hence the reason we've never encountered the issue.

Also, if there are ways you think we can improve the user experience with autodetection from the state that it is right now (besides this bug), let me know, we are always open for feedback.

Thanks,"

So I will let you know when I receive the Driver how it goes once I can try it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 09:22AM by Adventure.

Jeff Christiana
February 20, 2014 03:25PM
Slice with Photoshop and export the file, rename from *.x3g to *.gcode and save it. Then load it to Repetier host.
Make a own Start Gcode and now you can print.
You should read, delete and adjust the first sentences from the Gcode, Makerbot have other zero points. Z Axis starts on 0,05mm, ...

Sorry for my bad english
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login