Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OctoDroid (Android OctoPrint remote control)

Posted by moritz 
OctoDroid (Android OctoPrint remote control)
December 11, 2014 12:04PM
Hey there,

my name is Moritz and I want to present my Android application which I have programmed during the last month.
A few weeks ago I started to use OctoPrint as host-software for my Mendelmax 1.5 and always worried about the current print and if it is done well or not.
Because carrying a laptop all the day with me was not an option I started to develop of an Android app which enables me to monitor and control the OctoPrint server when I want and where I want.

I named the application OctoDroid and will be very proud if a few of you give me positive (or even negative) feedback :-)
The link to the application in the Google Play Store is: [play.google.com]

I am also very happy about every idea of how I can improve the application and every bug that is reported in here.

I hope that is not too much self-advertisement eye rolling smiley

Thank you,
Moritz
Re: OctoDroid (Android OctoPrint remote control)
December 13, 2014 09:25AM
Hello, your application is very nice but i can't go beyond 100°C for the heating bed.
And i need to 110°C.
Tk so much for your app hoping that the problem resolves.
Axoul
December 14, 2014 06:01AM
axoul
Hello, your application is very nice but i can't go beyond 100°C for the heating bed.
And i need to 110°C.
Axoul

Thank you - I never had thought about that :-) Because I always print at 60 °C.

Will be fixed within the next update ;-)

Best regards,
Moritz
December 14, 2014 06:55PM
Nice idea, but what does OctoDroid give you that a web browser doesn't? Or does OctoPrint not provide a browser interface? I keep tabs on my printer from my Android phone using Chrome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 06:57PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 15, 2014 03:16AM
Thanks spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Well, native applications have a lot of advantages to web and browser interfaces.

In general you can say that native applications
- has better performance than web/javascript applications
- can make use of several native functions that web interfaces coudn't (e.g. notifications)
- can use background services for handling connections when the application is in the background or not started (that may also belong to the native functions advantage).

Moritz
December 16, 2014 05:28PM
axoul
And i need to 110°C.
Axoul

Hey there,

with the new update > v1.6 of OctoDroid you can go to 150 °C at max.
I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Moritz
January 18, 2015 10:45AM
Hi,

I just uploaded the version 2.0 to the Google Play Store.
For those of you who got multiple printers you can add all of them to OctoDroid.
That feature is also usable if you use an external and internal IP address for your printer.

I also added extrusion and retraction which I think were very essential functionalities that were missing.

It would be very great if some of you can test the application and give me feedback for the new (and maybe for the old) features.
Error reports and improvement recommendations are always welcome ;-)

Best regards,
Moritz
January 27, 2015 04:46AM
Hey all,

for those who are interessted.
I just published the update 2.2.1 which includes some new features and a bunch of bug fixed.

Best regards,
Moritz
February 22, 2015 03:11AM
Hi Moritz

I discovered your app the other day and it is a huge improvement over just using the browser.
Having an interface designed for touch is much more convenient than trying to press those tiny buttons in chrome.
Just a couple of suggestions:
- a button that shuts down / restarts the raspberry pi like there is on the web interface
- the max hotend temp is 280C in the app but if i was to print polycarbonate my hotend would have to reach its maximum temperature of 300C

Thank you so much,
Tallguy
February 22, 2015 05:09AM
Hey tallguy7,

thank you for the feedback.
I have increased the max hotend temperature to 350 C which hopefully will be enough for everybody now ;-)
The system commands like shutdown, reboot and restart OctoPrint were already implemented in the app. The problem is, that the Api of OctoPrint did not allow to call these function by default - so I hide them again.
Let them stay visible means that OctoDroid would have some buttons implemented that won't work by default or just for a small part of the users and confuse them.
Maybe it is supported by the new version (1.2.0) of OctoPrint. I will check.

Best regards,
Moritz
February 24, 2015 08:37AM
Hello Moritz;

Gongrulatation for you application, she is very nice but i can't download G-codes files....eye rolling smiley
So, how to load G-codes files to OctoDroid on my smartphone ?

thank you for you help.

Best regards

Brams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 08:37AM by Brams_4.
February 24, 2015 08:46AM
Brams_4
Hello Moritz;

Gongrulatation for you application, she is very nice but i can't download G-codes files....eye rolling smiley
So, how to load G-codes files to OctoDroid on my smartphone ?

thank you for you help.

Best regards

Brams.

Hi Brams,

thanks ;-)
Uploading GCode files is currently not supported by OctoDroid. I have often thought about this and will add this feature in the next update.

Best regards,
Moritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 08:46AM by moritz.
February 25, 2015 05:25AM
Hi Moritz,

OK, i had bought you the PRO version. Nice job !
i wait your update and maybe a new ergonmic interface for later ?

Brams.
February 25, 2015 05:32AM
Thanks you very much!
I don't get what you mean be new ergonmic interface - can you explain it?

Best regards,
Moritz
February 26, 2015 04:11AM
Hi Moritz

When i start my print, if i should to make a emergency stop, i should to "clic" to the "headband progress" and clic to "canceled"
But I think "canceled" or "pause" action are verry important for remote control and to have fastly action, i think that it will be better if they are a emergenty stop icon for exemple (Cf repetier)

Secondly, it will be nice if we could change the interface color (green, bleu, ...).

It's just suggestions, what didi you think about those ?

PS: sorry for my English
February 26, 2015 04:28AM
Hi Brams,

you don't have to excuse for your english :-)
But I really don't understand what is the problem with the emergancy stop.

I guess you mean that the button should be easier available - for example from the main menu? Or did you just mean to use an graphical icon instead of the button?

Best regards,
Moritz
February 26, 2015 04:48AM
Yes,

I mean that the button should be easier available from the main menu and to use an graphical icon instead of the button.

what do you think about that?
March 18, 2015 11:31AM
Hello Mr Moritz,

Thank you for this app and I'm using the pro version :-) with a Vertex K8400

Just an idea of something you can add ( maybe only for the pro version eye rolling smiley ):

-Add notifications during a print every XX% ( 5% or 10% or 15% ... for exemple) or every XX minutes with a snapshot .

It's just an idea but personally I will find that very usefull...

(If you want I'm ready to give you a good french translation)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 11:32AM by AleXXi.
March 29, 2015 10:54AM
For some reason I cannot get OD to connect to my OP... I am running 1.1.1 version of OP on Raspberry Pi 2.

One thing that is confusing is the port. Typically I would add the port to the IP, not in a separate config box. However, I tried either way and neither works.

I am on a home wifi network and the RPi is hardwired to gigabit ethernet.

I also find that I can no longer (after upgrade to RPi2) connect to OP using my android browser either, so maybe it's an issue with OP on RPi2.
June 14, 2016 03:32PM
Thank you for this great and useful app. I use it for print job control if my PC is off.

To access Octoprint on my OctoPi installation from outside the local network I have set-up ddclient on the pi (/etc/ddclient.conf: use=web, web=my.ip.fi/) and activated port forwarding on my router for port 80. Sometimes it took a minute to connect (Slow dynamic DNS service?), so don't give up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login