Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNC Mill G-Code Interpreter With XY, XZ, & YZ Arcs

Posted by MMarz 
CNC Mill G-Code Interpreter With XY, XZ, & YZ Arcs
December 12, 2010 09:25PM
I've been building a CNC Mill, and I wanted it to be Arduino controlled so that I can tailor it to my needs. I took a version of the RepRap firmware created by Chris Meighan and used by Contraptor that has arcs and acceleration, and I expanded it so that it can draw arcs in all three planes. I've also added manual controls for an external joystick as well as some bug fixes. I am kind of new to the Arduino platform, and my modifications might not be the most efficient. I'm still trying to work out all the bugs. This version works with any stepper driver that takes two wires for step and direction (297L). If anyone is interested in trying it out on their machine (RepRap or CNC Mill), I've attached it to this message and it can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinocncmilll/

If you do try it out, please report back how it went. I'm open to all suggestions on how to make the code better. You can read a more in depth description of the firmware here: http://www.contraptor.org/forum/t-291261/contraptor-firmware-with-xy-xz-yz-arcs

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 06:04PM by MMarz.
Attachments:
open | download - reprap_new_firmware_arc.zip (24.2 KB)
Buddhafragt
Re: CNC Mill G-Code Interpreter With XY, XZ, & YZ Arcs
February 08, 2011 03:31PM
Hi there,
I installed the firmware and it is realy good work!
But I noticed the stepper motor speed differs with the number of driven steppers.
Only X axis is fast, X and Y is slower and X,Y and Z more slower.
Even with slow motor speed. (F50)
I take a look at the code, but I understand not all. I thought the step pulses are interrupt driven, so why this happen?
Is there a solution for this problem?

greetings
Michael
February 16, 2011 01:13PM

Only X axis is fast, X and Y is slower and X,Y and Z more slower.

That's expected. F50 doesn't set the speed of an axis, but the speed of the toolhead, all axes combined.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 17, 2011 07:19PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's expected. F50 doesn't set the speed of an
> axis, but the speed of the toolhead, all axes
> combined.

Exactly. For a move of equal distance in X and Y, the feed rate of each axis by itself will be the feedrate divided by the sqareroot of 2. So for F50, the speed of each axis will be about F35.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login