Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware Uploaded (I think) What next?

Posted by CADucana4d 
Firmware Uploaded (I think) What next?
November 05, 2011 05:47PM
Hi People I hope somebody can help a newbie.

I have built my Prussia and purchased a Sanguinololu with a bootloader burned.

I am using Windows XP and talking to my Sanguinololu via a USB conection.

I have downloaded Arduino 022, Drivers and associated files that enable me to select the Sanguinololu board and have a COM 4 port available when the USB is connected.

I have downloaded the Sprinter firmware, customised it as required and it compiles fine. Unlike a lot of threads on here I don't get any error messages when uploading to the Sanguinololu and all appears rossy. I have tried all the combinations of pressing the reset button and all have given the same result.

I have downloaded the reprap software and I have wired a stepper motor to the X axis and placed a normally closed switch accross the end stop connector for the X axis.

When I try and jog the motor from the reprap software nothing happens.

So some questions:-
Do I have to wire everything else (all motors, switches, extruder and thermistors) before expecting things to work?
Is there any way of checking that the Firmware has uploaded correctly?
I am powering the board from an ATX power supply from the standard 4 pin connector, I have shorted the green wire and checked I have 12V being supplied. Do I need to connect all of the yellow wires together to get enough power to run the motor?
Is there something else I have missed? I have seen mentions of adjusting stepper pots. How?

Thank you for any help you can provide. Please keep answers simple as I am learning little bits every day.
Re: Firmware Uploaded (I think) What next?
November 07, 2011 06:32AM
I do know that with 3 dead pololus, I was able to manipulate the X axis. I think that this would equate to only having one axis plugged in.

What software are you using to communicate with your sanguino?

Mike
November 07, 2011 09:18AM
Does your machine connect in the host software?

On the pololus there is a tiny screw on the right side of the board (with USB facing you). Turn the screw to the left for all driver boards, and work them up a 1/4 step at a time until they work.
November 07, 2011 04:09PM
Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

I have Stepstick driver boards and have tried adjusting the screws as described above but with no success

I am trying to get the motors to move using the Reprap Console on the XYZ tab I am setting the nudge size to 10mm and using the < > buttons to try to move the motors.

I have also tried to use the Replicator G software, I have the Sprinter Firmware uploaded so not sure if this is compatible. When I try to connect to the machine I get a 'G Code Sent - Waiting for response' message that repeats untill I get bored.

With both sets of software, when they are started up the motors nudge back and forth a step or two, this can be heard and felt on the pulleys. At least there is some life!!

On the Power Supply front I have now rigged it up so all the +12V and a corresponding number of black wires are all joined up to make sure the full 8A are available to the board, checked with a multimeter and I am getting 12.01V so that is rulled out.

I am a little concerned that my Firmware uploaded so easily when there are lots of posts omn here outlining the reset button timing. Arduino 022 gives a message 'Done uploading'. Does it check the upload or just send it up the wire and assume it has stuck?
November 08, 2011 04:27AM
It doesn't do a full verification of the data sent, but in my experience when it says "done uploading", it works. Probably at least got an acknowledge from the board.
November 08, 2011 08:28AM
My firmware uploaded ok first time without any pressing of the reset button, so not everyone has trouble with it (not sure why though?).

Have you got the baud rate set correctly? IIRC the setting for sprinter is around the 11 thousand mark. ReplicatorG calls it "klimentokip" or something similar.

I actually had trouble with both the host software and RepG, but Pronterface works perfectly - you could try that.
November 08, 2011 09:52AM
I would recommend trying all software suites before worrying too much. Pronterface would be a good place to start.
November 08, 2011 05:40PM
Thank you for all your help Pronterface has done the trick and I have moving X and Y axis. My Z however is a bit sticky. It will run for a while then bind up.

I have the sprung loaded nut arrangement as recomended in the videos of the build. One thing I have noticed in the build is that you do not see the Z axis motors get bolted in place with a mention in one of the later videos of putting some tape over the Z-axis motors.

I securely bolted mine in position. Am I asking for everything to line up too perfectly?

Thank you again for your help. You have made a misserable Design Engineer very happy this evening.
November 09, 2011 12:26PM
I've seen some people with zip ties getting good results, it is a little more give than screws directly to the motor. You really need smooth coupling from rod to motor in order for them to be bolted in. Try shrink wrapping the motor until it is closer in to diameter of the rod, as even pressure on the coupling device will result in a better/more accurate hold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login