Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feedback on my board build

Posted by ifrisbie 
Feedback on my board build
December 08, 2011 08:31PM
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new at this and was hoping to get some comments on the picks of my board. I was left a little confused about the 1.3a recommendations related to power and various unused connectors:

1. Latest info indicates that the R/A ATX4 is best choice in conjunction with the regulator? Does this mean also that the 3 individual 12V power taps near the motor connectors are not required?
2. For the stepper drivers, what do you all recommend? Should I go with the StepStick? I've seen them with and without heatsinks, are the sinks needed? Anybody selling empty PCB, thinking of trying my hand at reflow.
3. Anywhere in the U.S. make the StepStick (empty PCB or full)?

For some reason I couldn't post two images so I don't have the bottom of the board.
Attachments:
open | download - top.jpg (589.3 KB)
open | download - bottom.jpg (581.9 KB)
Re: Feedback on my board build
December 08, 2011 10:40PM
Your board looks great.

I used the screw terminal for power...I don't think the old supply I am using has an ATX4 connector. But, either is fine. I think the Mouser BOM has both, but only one can be installed...they occupy the same spot on the board. I don't know what the 12V connections near the motor connectors are for; I didn't use them.

Pololu A4988 is better than A4983 (which you probably can't find anymore, anyway). I haven't seen StepStick available in the US. I was fortunate to have a local source (Lulzbot/Aleph) that I got my A4988s from, assembled with pins, at a reasonable price.

I am told that heatsinks are not necessary with A4988s, but I have some memory chip heatsinks that I will glue on if I find they do get hot.
December 09, 2011 05:12AM
Stepsticks limit the current to 1A, so you can't get the driver hot enough to need heatsinks. Good if you have enough torque with 1A but bad if not!

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 09, 2011 12:58PM
I used the 12v screw terminal on my build. I cut the plug off of my ATX12 and screwed the cables into the connector.

The 12v plugs near the motors are outputs. I am using one of mine to drive a 40mm fan to cool the hotend.
December 09, 2011 06:54PM
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.
December 09, 2011 09:27PM
Are the 12 volt plugs near the motor always powered or only when that particular motor is moving?

Roy
December 10, 2011 06:20AM
Mine are always on.
February 19, 2012 02:43PM
Hi, i'm also new user on here.

ifrisbie: you don't have AUTO-RST jumper soldered...

My board
March 11, 2012 11:26AM
Thanks Kallio - I never noticed your post until now - might explain my comm problems smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login