Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu 1.3b ?

Posted by Emmanuel 
Sanguinololu 1.3b ?
March 03, 2012 03:02PM
While looking for a board, I found that Sanguinololu 1.3b :

[www.ebay.co.uk]

I don't remember of a 1.3b model, and didn't find anything when searching "sanguinololu+1.3b" on the wiki nor the forum.
Google results are mostly related to ebay. With all the smc component I also looked at the teensylu but they are different.

So I was wondering if it's another common design or a known option for a Sanguinololu ? (probably not)
Or just someone who made his own variation of the sanguinololu ? (blueprint probably not available)
Re: Sanguinololu 1.3b ?
March 04, 2012 09:58AM
Emmanuel Wrote:
> I don't remember of a 1.3b model, and didn't find
> anything when searching "sanguinololu+1.3b" on the
> wiki nor the forum.

Ebay seller sniperman, has made his own design and layout, for both a Sanguinololu 1.3b version as well as the a compatible Pololu Stepperdriver/StepStick (though this version only has 1/8 stepping - because a newer stepper driver chip is used)

See also reprap.me.

/MrAlvin
March 04, 2012 11:41AM
Hmm, I am not surprised the fake StepSticks come from snipermand. I had to return some "Makerbot" stepper controllers he sold me because he showed pictures of the Makerbot ones, i.e. professionally made PCBs but sent home made single sided PCB versions that weren't even the same circuit. They were missing the voltage regulator, the LEDs and some decoupling IIRC.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 07, 2012 08:35AM
nophead Wrote:
> I had to return some "Makerbot"
> stepper controllers he sold me because he showed
> pictures of the Makerbot ones, i.e. professionally
> made PCBs but sent home made single sided PCB
> versions that weren't even the same circuit. They
> were missing the voltage regulator, the LEDs and
> some decoupling IIRC.

Ah yes, that was the early days of providing cheap electronics alternatives. By now all PCBs are made professionally, but are still his own designs. The use of the Makerbot electronics pictures have always puzzled me, but I always assumed the same functionality was provided.

I do not know about missing parts or not missing parts in the designs, as I already have made my own home made RAMPS style electronics [labitat.dk], with all the bells and whistles that I have found useful.

But I'll shortly get to know the electronics in more detail, as sniperman has agreed to donate some to our hackerspace (Labitat.dk), as we are going to expand our RepRap diversity over the coming months.

Best wishes,
MrAlvin
May 27, 2012 12:31AM
I got one of the 1.3b boards, i need to know how to burn the bootloader to it if using a Arduino Mega ? what will be the coonection like ? Thanks.
June 02, 2012 09:56AM
So, 1.3b is no longer open? I just checked the github and there's no 1.3b folder. Looks like there are lot of changes, moving the FTDI to the top layer, using a crystal instead of a resonator, empty space under the stepper drivers.
June 22, 2012 12:43AM
Mazaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, 1.3b is no longer open? I just checked the
> github and there's no 1.3b folder. Looks like
> there are lot of changes, moving the FTDI to the
> top layer, using a crystal instead of a resonator,
> empty space under the stepper drivers.

I don't think it is an "official" release. I think he just redesigned it to sell himself, without releasing the source.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sanguino-newby
June 22, 2012 03:15PM
Hi there,
I have recently purchased the 1.3b and have been having lots of 'trouble' trying to get it to work (trying to use Sprinter firmware).
For a start, the ATmega644P microcontroller used on the board is the ATmega644P-20AU 44-pin SMD device which has a complely different pinout configuration to the standard 644P DIL version. This means a lot of changes to the Sprinter 'configuration.h fastio.h' etc files, to match up the pins to the new configuration. I then have had trouble trying to get the changes to compile. I keep getting an error stating that the device being used does not exist in 'arduino.h' and that a new pin configuration is needed there........
Any suggestions on moving forward with this 1.3b board???
The board itself is good quality, but unfortunately there is rather limited support ( this having been said, sniperman was helpful in sending me the component layout and a JPG of the circuit, which was just about discernable).
Thanks for you help in advance.
P.S. I am very much a newby to Arduino environment and programming so please be gentle!!!!!!!
June 22, 2012 04:14PM
Hi Sanguino-newby,

so in order to compile for the sanguino, you are aware that you need to add the Sanguino definitions?
see: [code.google.com]

And for sprinter compilation you are probably best off using Arduino0023
see: [github.com]

Try to compile the standard Sprinter, setting motherboard #define MOTHERBOARD 6
Then try to compile with #define MOTHERBOARD 62

Once this works, you know that your compilation (Arduino) environment works.

Then you can start to fiddle with pin assignments.
And when you do. I suggest only change 2 to 4 pin assignments at a time, then re-verify the compile (there is no need upload for every compile test).
This way you can also quickly identify if there is a pin problem some where.

Once you are through re-defining the pins, and it compiles, then you are ready to upload and start trimming of settings for your reprap bot.
Sanguino-newby
June 22, 2012 05:12PM
Hi MrAlvin

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I have added the Sanguino definitions, and am using Arduino 0023
I tried the 'Motherboard 6 and 62 ' settings to start with and they compiled correctly and generated the necessary files. I could then upload the files onto the device, but as was to be expected the pins do not respond correctly as they are the wrong definitions.
I then tried to amend/create the necessary pin definitions etc to accomodate the SMD versiion of the 644P (ATMEGA644P-20AU).
I basically copied the format of the 644P definition list (in fastio.h) and then amended it to match the pinout of the device. I allocated a 'new' MOTHERBOARD number (eg. 63) as well, (in configuration.h).
This is when it all seems to go belly up!!! I get either huge lists of 'undefined' pins, or references to processor's 'not being recognised in 'arduino.h' etc.
Is this of any use?
Regards
June 22, 2012 05:19PM
@Sanguino Newby

In the Arduino world both SMD and DIP of the Atmega644P have the same pin designations, The Sanguino patch takes care of the mapping. Yes they have different physical pin numbers but the designations with respect to Arduino digital and analog pins remain the same.

The Arduino.h problem you are getting is probably because you are using Arduino 1.0 and above, Get the 0022 or 0023 version instead.

Like MrAlvin mentioned, just change the Motherboard to 62 and you are good to go.
Sanguino-newby
June 22, 2012 05:41PM
Hi Royco,

Thanks for the info.
If the automatic mappng is correct, then why, when I compile successfully and program for MOTHERBOARD 62, does the thermistors report a fixed temperature of 135°C???? This temperature does not change when the thermistor is heated or cooled. The only thing I could think of was that the pins used for these inputs were not being defined as Analog inputs in the firmware setup, which is why I started wondering if my pin configuration was wrong.
I will reset my files back to their defaults and re-try the default 62 version.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
June 22, 2012 06:03PM
Sanguino-newby,

what you want to do is add one line with 63 in configuration.h,
and then add a definition for 63 in pins.h

how many pins are different between 1.2 and 1.3b?
June 22, 2012 06:09PM
I see that I once made this text
/*******************************************************************************************************
* Sanguino/RepRap Motherboard v1.2 pinout
*                                     ATMega644P
*                                     +---\/---+
*  LED                    (D 0) PB0  1|        |40  PA0 (AI 0 / D31)  Z_MAX_PIN
*                         (D 1) PB1  2|        |39  PA1 (AI 1 / D30)  Z_MIN_PIN
*  SD_CARD_WRITE     INT2 (D 2) PB2  3|        |38  PA2 (AI 2 / D29)  Z_ENABLE_PIN
*  SD_CARD_DETECT     PWM (D 3) PB3  4|        |37  PA3 (AI 3 / D28)  Z_DIR_PIN
*  SD_CARD_SELECT     PWM (D 4) PB4  5|        |36  PA4 (AI 4 / D27)  Z_STEP_PIN
*  SPI               MOSI (D 5) PB5  6|        |35  PA5 (AI 5 / D26)  Y_MAX_PIN
*  SPI               MISO (D 6) PB6  7|        |34  PA6 (AI 6 / D25)  Y_MIN_PIN
*  SPI                SCK (D 7) PB7  8|        |33  PA7 (AI 7 / D24)  Y_ENABLE_PIN
*                               RST  9|        |32  AREF
*                               VCC 10|        |31  GND 
*                               GND 11|        |30  AVCC
*                             XTAL2 12|        |29  PC7 (D 23)        Y_STEP_PIN
*                             XTAL1 13|        |28  PC6 (D 22)        Y_DIR_PIN
*  usb comm          RX0 (D 8)  PD0 14|        |27  PC5 (D 21) TDI    X_MAX_PIN
*  usb comm          TX0 (D 9)  PD1 15|        |26  PC4 (D 20) TDO    X_MIN_PIN
*  RS485 comm   INT0 RX1 (D 10) PD2 16|        |25  PC3 (D 19) TMS    X_ENABLE_PIN
*  RS485 comm   INT1 TX1 (D 11) PD3 17|        |24  PC2 (D 18) TCK    X_DIR_PIN
*  TX_ENABLE_PIN     PWM (D 12) PD4 18|        |23  PC1 (D 17) SDA    (E_STEP_PIN)
*  RX_ENABLE_PIN     PWM (D 13) PD5 19|        |22  PC0 (D 16) SCL    (E_DIR_PIN)
*  PS_ON_PIN         PWM (D 14) PD6 20|        |21  PD7 (D 15) PWM    X_STEP_PIN
*                                     +--------+
******************************************************************************************************

Perhaps this can help you making the pin assignments connections.

Please note: its NOT sanguinolulu 1.2. Its Makerbot Sanguino motherboard 1.2 pinout in the example

One example: Sanguino/Arduino pin D23 is called PC7 in the AVR schematics, and its assigned Y_STEP_PIN in the pins.h file

In the pins.h file the line would look like:
 #define Y_STEP_PIN     23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 06:15PM by MrAlvin.
June 22, 2012 06:37PM
@Sanguino Newby

Im pretty sure its something other than the pin mappings. I designed the Azteeg X1 to use the SMD 644P that your board has and it uses Motherboard 62 also to simplify things.

You might want to check if you have the correct entries in defining your thermistors. At the end part of the config page there are some thermistor entries too.

If all else fail, give marlin a shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 06:38PM by royco.
Sanguino-newby
June 23, 2012 04:54AM
HI MrAlvin,

Thanks again for the info.
I note from this pinout diagram that the device shown only has 40 pins, whereas the device I'm using has 44.
I have tried previously what you suggest, to create the 63 in configuration.h and then add the 63 definitions to pins.h
This failed to work as well !!!!! Most frustrating.

As far as how many pins are different, virtually ALL the pins are different between the two device formats. It's not just a case of changing one or two of them, it's all of them (excluding supply pins which aren't defined)

I think I have been a bit unreasonable in my way of describing things, so it must be difficult for people to understand/grasp the setup. The only thing I can suggest, is that, if you have Eagle, check out the device in the Atmel library labelled 644A. This is the same pinout as the one on the board.
Thanks again for your assist.
Regards,
Sanguino-newby
June 23, 2012 04:59AM
Hi Royco,

Thanks again for the reply and assist.

I have checked the thermistor entries against a spreadsheeted map of the thermistor I am using, and they virtually tie up, with the odd exception which would only produce a slight offset to the measured temperature.

Is Marlin any more straight forward? Might try it and see.

I did have a quick play with Teacup but seemed to have similar issues!!!!!!
I think it must be me that is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,
Regards,
June 23, 2012 05:11AM
> I think I have been a bit unreasonable in my way
> of describing things, so it must be difficult for
> people to understand/grasp the setup. The only
> thing I can suggest, is that, if you have Eagle,
> check out the device in the Atmel library labelled
> 644A. This is the same pinout as the one on the
> board.

Decided to attach a copy of the Eagle circuit I am amending for the board. This shows all the connections correctly, but some components might have the wrong REF number. The Atmel device shows the 644A label. This is not correct, but the pinout and pin-out names are correct.
Hope it helps.

sanguinololu.sch>
June 23, 2012 06:24AM
To all who helped out...........SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally. I decided to try out in more detail the Teacup firmware.
I made the same alterations to the configuration/definitions etc.
It initially gave a couple of 'undefined' type errors, but when I defined those pins (32,40,41,42 and 43), it compiled perfectly.
I then programmed the device using my AVRISP MkII.
When I then tried it out in ReplicatorG (the version that is geared up for 5d drivers)....hey presto.... thermistor readings worked fine.

Now to try and see if the rest of the functions are working.
Thanks again to everybody who helped me. It is much appreciated.

Regards, smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login