Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED]stepper wiring

Posted by ElMatador 
[SOLVED]stepper wiring
November 22, 2011 10:29AM
Hello,
I'm working on my first reprap, and just finished soldering my sanguinololu 1.3a. I was about to start wiring stepper motors when i noticed that the z axis has a spot for 2 4-pin headers, although I can only fit one. I was wondering if it is acceptable to put the 2 z axis motors in series instead of parallel like the board has them. I've worked with other repraps and we just connected 2 of the compliment wires to each other and had 4 wires going into the board for the z axis.

oh and one more quick question, my steppers have 6 wires. I'm guessing I just dont use the black and white ones but just wanted to make sure here first. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 07:20PM by ElMatador.
Re: stepper wiring
November 22, 2011 11:39AM
ok, the second question I didn't need to ask, just did some googling and found out its white/yellow i don't need. but I'm still not sure if i could get away with putting them in series. could the pololu's handle that? also my steppers are these.
November 22, 2011 12:21PM
sorry if this is in the wrong spot, if i could get it moved to stepper motors that would be great smiling smiley
November 22, 2011 01:27PM
If you don't use the centre taps then they become 8V motors, so you would want to put the Z motors in parallel.

You could use half the coils and put them in series. That would give the same torque for a given total current because you then have twice the current and half the number of turns in each motor. The inductance would be less so the top speed would be greater.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 22, 2011 02:13PM
thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login