Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looks like I messed up pretty good...blown 7805.

Posted by navidsons 
Looks like I messed up pretty good...blown 7805.
November 29, 2011 12:43PM
So it looks like I really beat up my Sanguinolou 1.3a. Let me explain what happpened:

1. I hooked up my PC power supply for the first time. I blew out the 100uF capacitor on one of the motor control circuits...I had put it in backwards, my fault entirely. It blew out the 7805 as well.
2. No worries, I have plenty of 7805s and caps to replace them.
3. After replacing, I fired up with only one steppper driver and one stepper attached...the driver went up in smoke, the 7805 was hot to thethe touch.
4. At this point, I wanted to make sure I didn't fry the FTDI or the 644p...sure enough, over just USB I can't connect to the board, though its serial port is visable.

...now it looks like I need a new stepper driver and an Atmega, but with both of those, I'm not sure the 7805 circuit is working properly. I'm taking about 11.6v out of the ATX power supply and getting 4.9v out of the 7805...not sure if this slightly lower voltage is an issue.

Long story short, I messed it up pretty good and I am unsure of how to fix it. Any advice is welcomed...I'm close to just getting ramps as I just want the bastard to work finally!

Thanks!
Re: Looks like I messed up pretty good...blown 7805.
November 30, 2011 02:39PM
My plan to fix right now:
-Load resistor in power supply for a more steady voltage.
-Replace 7805 again, this time with a proper 3amp chip.
-Replace Atmega644p.
-Make sure I adjust stepper driver trim pots.

I ordered a spare FTDI chip as well incase that is in fact damaged as well.

...and I also ordered a set of RAMPs to get this thing done. I have a second set of motors so I'll need a second set of electronics eventually anyways! (Printrbot perhaps?)

Still welcoming advice though...I'm not entirely sure this will do the trick still...
Re: Looks like I messed up pretty good...blown 7805.
December 04, 2011 08:35PM
Having just done the same thing i feel your pain, just killed 4 A4988 chips, the hot end fet and potentially the 7805 and some caps.... I'll let you know i how i get on fixing it, although mine was not explosive and took a while for me to realise i'd done anything wrong.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login