Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Testing FTDI chip using USB COM port

Posted by wixi 
Testing FTDI chip using USB COM port
March 07, 2012 08:00AM
I'd like to ask more about plugging in the PCB via the USB port.

[url=http://reprap.org/wiki/Sanguinololu#Soldering_the_FTDI
Sanguinololu page[/url]]
Now is a good time to test the FTDI chip. Plug a USB cable into the port. The device should show up as a COM port or a TTY device and allow it to be opened. If you temporarily connect the 'TX' and 'RX' pins on the USB2TTL port on the back of the board anything you type in your terminal application (such as PuTTy) should be echoed back to you.

No COM port appear on my XP OS (FT232R USB UART appears on the Device Manager) and I'm not sure where to look or do on linux (possibly /dev/tty)

Can anyone give more detail on how to set up this serial port and do the simple test?
Re: Testing FTDI chip using USB COM port
March 07, 2012 08:45AM
Did you open up the ports section? Also did you already download putty?
March 07, 2012 09:16AM
In XP OS:
What do you mean by "open up the ports section"? Do you mean expanding the list of devices in Device Manager? I can give a screen shot if its helpful.

I have putty but I wouldn't know what COM port to use. In the instruction video, COM12 was used which showed up nicely in the Device Manager.
But I think I need to set up the COM port properly before I can use putty.
March 07, 2012 10:32AM
It turns out that my laptop (and other PC) didn't have the right drivers. The OS searched for the drivers with its Found New Hardware Wizard, it showed correctly on the Device Manager and I could talk to the chip with putty =)

For completeness sake I still have no idea about how you would do it on Linux. If anyone knows it might be useful for the wiki.
March 07, 2012 12:02PM
Glad to see you sorted it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login