Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Overheating

Posted by NelsonRap 
Overheating
April 15, 2012 01:02AM
We make up our own sanguino boards as per the wiki here but find the voltage regulator gets very hot, this is without the stepper drivers plugged in is this normal?

April 15, 2012 07:28AM
No, nothing takes much current @ 5V and the one I bought pre-made does not get warm when fed from 12V. Are you using a higher voltage?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Overheating
April 15, 2012 08:06AM
Actually come to think of it, I did notice a bug in the Sanguinololu. The 5V rail is connected to both the regulator and the USB VBUS signal, which is not good for either the PC or the regulator, especially if one is switched off. I cut the track from the USB connector. The only effect is you need the 12V supply before it will connect to the PC.

April 16, 2012 03:13AM
Thanks will give it a go

June 12, 2012 03:29PM
Hi

I am finding that my 1.3a LM7805 voltage regulater gets very hot within a couple of minutes of powering up via my ATX powersupply. I have cut the 5v track from the USB as described above and yet the VREG and two of the Polulus get hot quickly.

This is without USB attached, so no differnce in current.

Pololus trimmed to 0.33v to drive 1.2A NEMA 17s

What should I be measuring, checking etc (I have found that at rest with power applied, Y motor is "locked", Z, X and E are free to turn by hand, I can move and hime X, Y & Z via Pronteface,

I have soldered my own board, am very much an electronic beginner but heat build up is worrying me.

Any assistance appreciated

Al
June 12, 2012 04:40PM
I would remove the Pololus and see if it still gets hot. Then insert them one by one. I suspect one might be faulty. They should only take a few ma from the 5V rail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login