Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Azteeg X1 not running G Code

Posted by LordFrz 
Azteeg X1 not running G Code
November 20, 2012 12:38AM
I have an Azteeg X1 and it is not running my G Code correctly. It works a bit then stops, or works on one axis but not on the other, but then after a reset switches. Then my Z axis goes down no mater what polarity I send it.

However when I run test code from the Arduino interface it runs the steppers back and forth just fine.

I have tried Marlin, and Sprinter. Both do similar things when told to run G Code.

I am using the Universal Gcode sender, as the windows one does not seem to work for me.

Any Ideas on what my issue is?

Thanks a bunch
Re: Azteeg X1 not running G Code
November 20, 2012 07:39AM
Areyou sure it's a matter of the G-code? If you send a single line of G-code, like G1 X100 F15000 and it doesn't operate properly, it can't be a matter of G-code interpretation.

Possible causes I can think of:

- Stepper drivers overheating. Typically, this results in a motor running half a second and half a second not or something like that.

- Endstops on the Z axis not matching their configuration in firmware. Marlin usually moves only away from the endstop when an endstop is triggered.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 20, 2012 11:42AM
I have not attached endstops yet. I will be picking some up later today, along with some new wire.

The wire I have now is solid core speaker wire. Its a bit thick, not sure if that would make a differences though.

As for the Gcode it will run things like

G1 X15 Y17 Z5

Only Z will go down even if told Z-5

And when it gets to something like

G1 X50 Y80 F15000

It stops

But if it is the overheating, how might I fix that? Or would it be because i have yet it add the endstops?
November 21, 2012 09:41AM

I have not attached endstops yet.

In that case you should remove them from the firmware configuration. It might be easier to attach them and make them working.

The wire I have now is solid core speaker wire. Its a bit thick, not sure if that would make a differences though.

Too thin might be a problem, but not too thick.

But if it is the overheating, how might I fix that? Or would it be because i have yet it add the endstops?

Can't tell you the details, I'm experienced with Generation 7 Electronics. Much of Gen7's troubleshooting hints should apply to other electronics, too: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 21, 2012 06:46PM
What Im not understanding is that when I run the (Test Firmware for Azteeg X1 and Saguinololu 1.3)
All my stepper motors turn forward and backwards just fine, like the code tells it to. It is not untill I try and
send it Gcode that It starts to act funny.
November 21, 2012 07:06PM
@LordFrz

I'll try to replicate what your getting. In the mean time can you check what current setting you have on the stepper drivers? The test firmware tells you wiring and installation is aok, but having a low current setting with an F15000 will just make the motor whine and not move.
November 21, 2012 08:10PM
My power supply is puting out 2.5mA at 24v and 1.25mA at 12v

Ill try a diferant power supply in a day or 2 when I get a chance to go grab it.

But if it was a power supply problem why does it run just fine with the test code?
November 21, 2012 09:45PM
From Universal Gcode Sender, the only stepper I can get to move is the one plugged into the Z axis, and it only goes one way, no mater what direction I send it. Have switched motors out, and swapped stepper drives out. Still no matter the configuration the only one working is the ones in the Z axis slot.

The Test code however still runs all motors back and forth. (Except the Z which only goes one way, unless I plug it into the x, or y then it goes back and forth)

The x and y act like they are trying to go forward and backward at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 09:49PM by LordFrz.
November 21, 2012 10:32PM
OK, can you explain this one? I got the X Axis to work, but it only works when I have the stepper controller for Y in backwards.
November 22, 2012 12:46AM
What do you mean having the stepper controller backwards? Reversing the drivers will definitely kill it.

I tried the gcode sender and it doesnt seem to work all the time and some variations in steps will not work until you send it the other direction. Have you tried using pronterface to send the gcodes?
November 22, 2012 01:02AM
Ill give Pronterface a try, and yes it fried my stepper controller. Its was not something I did on purpose, but when I have the stepper controller in the Y-axis in backwards, I am able to use the x-axis just fine. But without a stepper in backwards or not in at all it wont run from gcode.
December 13, 2012 10:33PM
I have tried 3 diferant power supplies and still getting the same problems. I am uploading a video to youtubes that shows what is happening, it should be available in a few hours. [youtu.be]

It is less than 5min showing that test code will run stepper motors back and forth, but that the gcode sender will only work if the Y-Axis stepper controller is in backwards.
December 14, 2012 12:13AM
If the test code will run the motors fine then there's something amiss with how gcode sender communicates with the board. I tried an X1 and universal gcode sender and it does not work all the time. If I use the G1 CNC controller with GRBL the Gcode sender works perfectly.

Do you want to try running GRBL on your X1 instead? I got it running on one using Lincomatics fork of GRBL(ver 0.7) that supports the X1.
December 14, 2012 12:57AM
Worth giving it a shot, I should have the G1 in a few days according to the shipment email. I am just curious as to why it works with the y-axis stepper driver in backwards? I don't think its anything to do with the board itself, as the test code works, I was thinking its something with the code. As for the Y-Axis in backwards making X-Axis work, I have no clue, less I wired or soldered something weird. Any idea what would cause that? In any case I have been having fun messing with the X1 these past few week even though I have yet to get the gcode to work. I can still run thing strait from the arduino interface just fine.
December 14, 2012 07:02PM
So after I have the grbl compiled to a hex file how do I send it to the board? Xloader freezes or fails upload. All tutorials I I found point to xloader, but thats not working. Have tried a command line method but it only has support up to AtMega 1280.
December 15, 2012 12:16AM
Replace files on your xloader folder with these.

Did you complied Lincomatics GRBL and used Makefile Sanguinololu?
Attachments:
open | download - XLoader.zip (19.8 KB)
December 15, 2012 12:20AM
Yes, I compiled the Make.Sanguinololu

Ill give it a go, thanks a bunch for your help.
December 15, 2012 12:27AM
Thanks a whole bunch, it is working great now. All I have to do now is do some measuring to configure the steps. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login