Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uploading strangeness with Sanguinololu and Marlin

Posted by wallester 
Uploading strangeness with Sanguinololu and Marlin
July 27, 2012 02:07AM
Hello All. I've been variously happy using a Sanguinololu V1.3 board, uploading Marlin with Arduino 23, for several months. But over the last few weeks I've run into a problem with the program uploading successfully but when I open Repetier and check the firmware eeprom settings, I find that they haven't changed at all. I have probably tried every possible combination of "reset button"/ "upload button" possible with no luck. Has my board had the biscuit or am I missing something? This will be the second in a row.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Re: Uploading strangeness with Sanguinololu and Marlin
July 27, 2012 03:15AM
I don't think uploading affects the EEPROM values. Those are written by the firmware. I think you need to send M502 to revert them to the default in the firmware.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 27, 2012 04:28AM
Thanks for the reply, Nophead. I'm not sure if I understand completely. I'm uploading the config files from Marlin to the board. I thought this includes all the values (steps per unit, parameters, preferences) selected in Marlin. And I thought that when I looked at the EEPROM settings in the config tab of Repetier, the values reflected what exists in the EEPROM of the board. These are the values that don't change after I upload Marlin using Arduino. I should mention that I am able to change these values from Repetier. If I save them, the next time I open Repetier they are in fact changed. Or am I confusing what is changing? Please note, I'm still as newbie as they come.
July 27, 2012 04:43AM
The Atmega CPU has EPROM where the firmware program is stored and EEPROM where the firmware can store things such as settings. I don't think loading new firmware affects the EEPROM values.

The firmware contains the default values but uses the ones in EEPROM. To reset the EEPROM values to the new defaults in the firmware send M502.

I have the EEPROM disabled in the config so it uses the values in the firmware and hence updates whenever I load it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 04:47AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 27, 2012 04:34PM
Ahhh. This sounds promising. Soon as I get back I'll have a closer look. I think I'm getting it now. I think I do remember something about EEPROM in Marlin. I didn't realize there were two places to store values. Marlin says to keep the EEPROM settings on if possible. I'll try the M502 first. Many thanks in anticipation of success.
July 29, 2012 08:16PM
Bingo. That's got it. "Restoring factory defaults" refreshed the values to the new ones uploaded. Odd that I didn't have to do this before. Musta changed some other setting somewhere. Thanks again.
February 25, 2013 10:03PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Atmega CPU has EPROM where the firmware
> program is stored and EEPROM where the firmware
> can store things such as settings. I don't think
> loading new firmware affects the EEPROM values.
>
> The firmware contains the default values but uses
> the ones in EEPROM. To reset the EEPROM values to
> the new defaults in the firmware send M502.
>
> I have the EEPROM disabled in the config so it
> uses the values in the firmware and hence updates
> whenever I load it.

I'm having this issue. Is there anyway someone can do a step by step of how to send a m502 to the EEPROM?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login