Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu 1.3a and Panelolu2 acting strange

Posted by AriS 
Sanguinololu 1.3a and Panelolu2 acting strange
March 16, 2014 04:37PM
Hi!

After installing the sanguinololu and panelolu2 in to a casing they stopped working and started to behave strangely.(Have been working properly prior to the installation) When powering on the board the LED lit up and the display backlight is turned on (might be a bit darker than normally), but no text.
When pressing reset or control nob nothing happens. When turning the nob the display goes dark. After this I noticed that the IC1 starts warming up. The display backlight can be turned on only by turning off and on the PSU.

The firmware can be downloaded from Arduino, and Pronterface can connect to the board, but it reacts to no commands or movements, nor will it show the tip or bed temperatures. The same thing with the Panelolu2 connected and disconnected.

Could someone who is more familiar to the electronics please advice how to troubleshoot this? The possibility of a short circuit can not be ruled out, but I have no evidence of one either.

Thanks in advance
Re: Sanguinololu 1.3a and Panelolu2 acting strange
March 17, 2014 05:27PM
Hi Aris

As it was working before you put it in the case you might want to start by taking it back out and seeing the difference. Is it a metal case? The issues you describe could also be caused by plugging the Panelolu2 adaptor cable in offset so check that as well.

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
March 18, 2014 03:05AM
Hi Tony

Thank you for the replay. The case is plastic, and as soon as I noticed the malfunctioning I took it out of the case and tried. With the same result unfortunately. I am quite shore that I also have the Panelolu cable right, but that is a good point. Normally things like these tend to be a result of user errors like this. I have tried with taking all connections out and examining the board for any visible damages, but non found. Typical that when I finally decide put it in to a box to protect it after working perfect for half a year or so, I probably manage to damage to board in some way.
Is there something that I could test or measure, to pinpoint the problem closer? Which component would be the one to start with?

BR.
Ari
March 25, 2014 03:48PM
Hi Ari

It sounds like you have damaged either the P2 I2C chip or the Sanguinololu ATMEGA MCU. One test would be to re-upload firmware to the ATMEGA with the Panelolu2 disabled to see if it works without the Panelolu2 connected. That wont completely prove the ATMEGA however because it does not test the pins for the Panelolu2.

Cheers

Tony

Re: Sanguinololu 1.3a EEPROM
March 27, 2014 11:43PM
Hi,

I assembly Prusa i3 with Sanuguinolou 1.3 ATMEGA 1284PU and Popolou stepper driver, preloaded with Marlin firmware. I open Repetitier-Host, use EEPROM CONFIGURATION to calibrate and step values . It works. Then press SAVE EEPROM. But the data was lost the next day, after power down of both PC and Prusa.

I am not familiar with ATMEGA. Would someone tell if I need to to use another PC software, or it need a EPROM writer to change EEPROM setting and configuration.h file?

Best Regards
Tsui
March 28, 2014 02:18PM
Hi Tsui

Have you compiled your firmware with EEPROM support?

Look for
#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
and
#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

On in configuration.h and make sure they are uncommented.

Tony
March 30, 2014 05:08AM
Thank you Tony for the advice.
Problem solved. It turned out to be a sum of multiple causes.
Firstly a operator error, or putting it directly, my mistake. The ribbon cable connector was connected the wrong way in the Panelolu2 end. This got the Panelolu2 to work smiling smiley
Secondly, i noticed that the regulator was giving a bit low on the 5V line (4,5ish), so I replaced the LM7805 which improved the situation a bit, but not completely. After noticing that both the tip and bed got 12V out but did not get warm at all, a fast current measurement between the PSU. and the board showed that only 1,2 A was going thrue. After changing the cables and connectors, it has worked fine for a couple of prints already, and I get the amps out that are needed.
I had already ordered and received a new board because I thought this was a lost case, so probably there is a second machine to be built smiling smiley Thanks to T3P3 for the quick delivery and technical support.

Ari
March 30, 2014 05:11AM
Ari

Good to hear you got it all sorted!

Cheers

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login