Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power needs.

Posted by buzzbbird 
Power needs.
June 04, 2014 02:44AM
Just purchased my first kit for my first 3D printer. It has a Sanguinololu 1.3a. It is an Eventorbot and has the board built.
My question is if I need to change the incoming amps when running the 12v+ from an atx Power supply.
The designer of this printer said that I need 5 amps without the heated bed and 10 with. My PS puts out 19 amps.
Will it hurt anything to just run straight into the board, or do I need to put a resistor in between?
If so, what resistance (what math formula) should I use to determine it?
Again, IF I need to change the incoming power, the amps, what is the max safe that this board will take without causing any shorts or burn outs?

Thanks
Re: Power needs.
June 05, 2014 07:04PM
The current from a power supply is a max rating. If your system draws less, then there is less current created from the power supply. No need to do anything, just plug it in and use it.

I have heard different estimates for 12V supplies and it varies based on which ATX supply you have, but if your numbers are accurate, it should be fine. (of course, if it all blows up and burns down your house you can't blame me. I make no guarantees on my advice and it's worth what you paid :-)).

One more thing. Make sure that 19A rating was for the 12V supply. They will have different ratings for the 5V and 12V supply and usually the 5V source is larger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 07:05PM by cobrageek.
Re: Power needs.
June 06, 2014 10:24AM
As the PSU is bought already, simply try it out. PC PSUs have good overload protections. If it works, but suddenly turns off, this protection kicked in.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login